• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Pros and cons of a lot of up travel

jccarter1

So her is where I am at I am currently in the process if doing a back half on my yj 4 link rear with 16 ORI's the question I have is I have the clearance to have upward of 10 inches of up travel and before I set my mounting for the ORI's just wanted to see what if any issues I would be in store for if I went this route

Also I I have read that the ORI's like to be set with 6 inchs of shaft showing but if I set ride height where I want it I will still have around 4 inches of up travel so could I set the ORI's with 8 inches of up and 8 of down or even more ????

So your suspension allows for ten inches if up travel, how does your pinion angle change as you cycle up? Does your rear driveshaft u-joints start to bind or go beyond their allowable angle? Might be an obvious question, but have you cycled the rear with tires on? When cycling one side in compression and the other in droop, do the tires get into the shock at all?

Just my opinion, but ten up and six down seems backwards to me. My last rig had little up travel, four to five front and rear. The down travel was almost double. I liked this for crawling, but sometimes if I was hitting something fast and full throttle, it was bone jarring.

Re:

Depends on what your planning to do with the rig? Higher speeds needs more uptravel to soak the bumps.

Unless things have changed ORIs are designed to have half up & down.

Yea I understand it may be alittle different running that much up travel but one reason that a lot of people run low up travel is due to clearance issues and wanting to keep the center of gravity low my issue is I clear everything with it stuffed 10 upwards drive shaft / tires and struts just wondering if this would be harmful to the ORI's to run them maybe half up half down or do I just need to set them with 6 inches of up travel

I'm running mine 6 up, 10 down and that has been generally enough uptravel. I don't think you will want 10" uptravel, lower your rig if you have room and set up your mounts for 6-8" up IMO. And remember that the ORI's have internal bumpstops, so set them up to use all the uptravel on the shock.