• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

pros and cons: SAS vs. IFS

I have some rears that are set up for the front that im not going to use if your interested also find some 59" chevy rears for the back instead of the 63"

i guess my question is would it be worth it to have my springs re-arced? i dont know how much it would cost, or how long until the truck goes under the knife, or if i am even going to re-use them.

chevyxj said:
Would highly recomend doing an SAS. I have a 88 4runner that had a 4" IFS lift and 35's. Just did a SAS on it last weekend and have no complantes. This is my DD and I things it drives way nicer with the straight axle VS the IFS set-up that was on it. All said and done with mine im into it about $1,500. I bought a few parts used and bought alot of stuff that you wouldnt have to buy if you were going to do it (5.29's, lockrights, rebiult complete frt end)
Only $1500? Item list plz? For that kinda cash i can do one by summer:clappy:

i agree.. lifting an ifs is a waste of money.. although im im the process right now.:rolleyes: .. basically when i got the truck i had the idea to save some money, gather all the parts for a SAS and drive it stock till then. i got in a hurry and decided my tiny stock tires werent cutting it. so i bought the ifs lift just so i could stick some real rubber under it until i have money for a swap.. so my point is i guess... if you like wheelin your truck the way it is,, and dont feel the need to go bigger just yet, start gathering parts for an sas.. actually im already lookin for a solid front right now, and i still dont even have the IFS completely together:cool:

FordFrk06 said:
i guess my question is would it be worth it to have my springs re-arced? i dont know how much it would cost, or how long until the truck goes under the knife, or if i am even going to re-use them.

This depends on what SAS "kit" you buy. I think most kits come with new front springs, in which case, just use those. You could probably order a SAS kit without front springs to save some money but it sounds like you need them anyways. If it were me, I would use the springs that come in the kit and order up a matching set for the rear. On the other hand, if money is real tight, maybe the best thing to do is order the SAS kit without springs and then buy 4 springs somewhere else, cheap.
That 4wheel Parts store in lynnwood has real cheap leaf springs for toyotas. It is safe to say that the quality of their stuff is probably not as good as other manufactures but should do the job non the less...

Last edited:
FordFrk06 said:
so if you were me, you probably wouldnt do anthing with the stock springs right now?

Thats correct. Do some more research on SAS "kits". I keep putting the word kit in parentheses because everyone seems to have a different idea of whats included in the "kit". Maybe you would be better off buying everything separately. The weld on front spring hanger is the main component you will need to buy from Marlin, All Pro, (OR maybe someone local wil make one for you). Then find the rest of the items (brake lines, shackles, leaf springs, etc...) somewhere else.

I'm not sure what it costs to rework old springs but i do know that new springs don't cost all that much. I bought some 3" lift front springs for my toyota from 4Wheel Parts for 43 bucks a piece. Thats cheap!!!! Like i said before, they are probably not the best, but i got 2 years on mine so far and their still holding my truck up...

Last edited:
if your not involved in the trail gear drama or don't care , there SAS swap kit is very complete for $ they're asking. http://trail-gear.com/sas.html and they got free shipping. all you need is a decent Toy front differential to swap in

Alot of the other companies are now lowering there prices too. marlin crawler, allprooffroad etc.

Pook said:
if your not involved in the trail gear drama or don't care , there SAS swap kit is very complete for $ they're asking. http://trail-gear.com/sas.html and they got free shipping. all you need is a decent Toy front differential to swap in

Alot of the other companies are now lowering there prices too. marlin crawler, allprooffroad etc.

Wow, your right. There about 400 bucks cheaper than Marlin...

FordFrk06, from that trail gear website also look at the "Spring Hanger Kit" for $150. thats what i was talking about...

Last edited:
some really great information here, guys. thanks. it looks like i will probably be having someone else do the SAS for me, as i have no skills with a welder/torch. but, that wont be for a while yet.

Im super happy with the way my trail-gear kit turned out and they have great service

it was nice to have everthing you need for the axles and everything it made it go real smooth

So uh, for us dense and lame people, what E-Drama is going on anyway? Im not "in the know" although I have heard hints about it here and there...

~T.J.

84Toyota4x4 said:
So uh, for us dense and lame people, what E-Drama is going on anyway? Im not "in the know" although I have heard hints about it here and there...

~T.J.

ALot of it has to do with Marlin not patenting his creations for he is a trusting guy and when Chris Geiger switched over to trail gear he took some prototype plans and started to make em. Since trailgear is mass producing things and not hand making em and such like marlin they got em out first and advertised em first. Kinda made marlin mad since it was his idea. I think this was with the 6 stud knuckles or whatever...

Got it. See, I hadn't heard of Trail-Gear until semi recently (I guess months ago now), and when I did see their website, it was strangely a lot like Marlins old site, and I thought they might be related with a joint venture or something because I had heard Marlin was moving, and I thought maybe Trail Gear was a brain child to have two companies in different locations or something.

Turns out theyre not even slightly related then eh? More like the utmost of competitors it sounds like. So Chris used to work for Marlin, left, went to Trail Gear and started helping them out with Marlins stuff or something like that. Got it.

I had heard names dropped here and there, and I remember thinking that Chris worked for Marlin, but I kept hearing it in relation to Trail Gear recently, so I guess that makes sense now.

Thanks for the clarification!

~T.J.

so, my funds should be arriving in the next couple months. i have looked at a few SAS kits, and it looks like trail gears kit is the most complete for the money. is this right?

Sky Mfg

kit2-(high-quality).jpg

Ive ordered some of their parts and theyre BEEFY.

Theres also All Pro

84Toyota4x4 said:
Got it. See, I hadn't heard of Trail-Gear until semi recently (I guess months ago now), and when I did see their website, it was strangely a lot like Marlins old site, and I thought they might be related with a joint venture or something because I had heard Marlin was moving, and I thought maybe Trail Gear was a brain child to have two companies in different locations or something.

Turns out theyre not even slightly related then eh? More like the utmost of competitors it sounds like. So Chris used to work for Marlin, left, went to Trail Gear and started helping them out with Marlins stuff or something like that. Got it.

I had heard names dropped here and there, and I remember thinking that Chris worked for Marlin, but I kept hearing it in relation to Trail Gear recently, so I guess that makes sense now.

Thanks for the clarification!

~T.J.

Marlin, trail gear, and all pro get all their hangar etc work done by the same guy. The only difference is the springs really. The guy who makes the hangars and such is in partnership with chris geiger and trail gear. I guess hes one of the head guys or sumthin at trail gear. Pretty much trail gear gets their parts cheaper due to that but arent the best company to support persey due to their rep of steeling stuff from marlin. Its pretty much a choice wether or not youi care about the rep or the cash$$$.