• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Proximity/Motion sensor alarms???

Mrs. Crash

Administrator
I'm going to be looking for a new alarm for my truck. I originally had one that had the motion sensor for convertables but it was so damn sensitive I rarely used it. Even the train going by my parking lot at work would set it off. But I need one that will have the motion doohicky as I take the top off in the summer.

Any experience with these? Who's got a good one? The one I had last time I think I got from one of the magazines.

Anyone heard of Commando?
http://www.commandocaralarms.com/itemdetails.asp?ProductID=1457

just curious, if you are interested in protecting from theft, why not do a lojack system and then get a regular alarm for the rig???

o wait, open air sometimes... that can be a pain. I've had autopage in several rigs for a number of years... autopage has a remote start feature too... can also get an engine kill. but again, that technology comes with a lot of alarms these days.

as to commando, haven't heard of them. I'd say this time around go with well known, and seriously look into lojack... the basic works, but the early warning system kicks butt...

hopefully the silver tobaggen will never have to fall victim to a predator and have to resort to being located by the lojack... but if it ever happens... it will be located sooner than theives can do much of anything to it....

newer cars come with intelligent keys. wonder if there would be a way to set up an intelligent key system (translates to computer chip) for the 4runner. I can't operate the vehicle without the computer chip present, can't get into the car w/o it, and i can't lock the keys in the car, intelligent key wont allow you to.... gotta love that!

I also dont need a key for the vehicle.

I'd love to be able to go with the lo jack and maybe eventually it will. But with everything I have to replace right now I can't afford it.

So even something that will get me through the year is what I need. Michael will be doing plenty of little disablers but I'd still feel better with an alarm. Next year, when all has been replaced and I've had time to get some money put aside for it, I'll look into the lo jack.

Keep in mind there's motion sensors and there's vibration sensors. Lots of people get them confused, the vibration sensors are the ones that usually get set off by loud exhaust or stereos, or a passing vehicle shaking the car. Mabye yours was both in one unit?

My Alpine unit had both type sensors but seperate, and both could be adjusted independently for sensitivity. I ended up tossing the vibration sensor though, even at the lowest setting it was just too sensitive. I found out later that it was actually a problem with the connector, socket got wrenched somehow and broke a solder joint. :redneck: I never had a false alarm from the radar sensor, but if you stuck your hand in an open window it woke you up right quick. :clappy:

skrause said:
Keep in mind there's motion sensors and there's vibration sensors. Lots of people get them confused, the vibration sensors are the ones that usually get set off by loud exhaust or stereos, or a passing vehicle shaking the car. Mabye yours was both in one unit?

My Alpine unit had both type sensors but seperate, and both could be adjusted independently for sensitivity. I ended up tossing the vibration sensor though, even at the lowest setting it was just too sensitive. I found out later that it was actually a problem with the connector, socket got wrenched somehow and broke a solder joint. :redneck: I never had a false alarm from the radar sensor, but if you stuck your hand in an open window it woke you up right quick. :clappy:

I'm not sure which it was. It was listed as motion sensor and it was adjustable but it just never adjusted right.

Mrs. Crash said:
I'm not sure which it was. It was listed as motion sensor and it was adjustable but it just never adjusted right.
Well here's the easy test, open a window and set the alarm. Then wave your arms in the window without touching anything. A true motion sensor should go off as long as it's set sensitive enough. A vibration sensor can be triggered by banging your palm on the top of the fender or a-pillar. I know this doesn't help without having one already installed, but that's how you can differentiate which type a car has.

I have a comando alarm, had a bad shock sensor, they sent me a new one no questions asked, and I have been happy with it. I did not go with the motion sensor option, it was out of my price range.

There were a few tricks for instalation, but their tech line helped me without any problems, the problem was .......if you want to know pm me and I can tell you more and there are a few tricks that I did that I can tell you but not publicly, and I bet crash has already thought of them.

Same thing here, I had the proximity sensor in my convertible eclipse and the damn thing went off constantly, ended up disconnecting it. Im not sure an alarm will do a whole lot. I personally trust kill switches and such alot more.