• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Putting a scared child on a plane?

TacomaJD said:
I've only flew twice and haven't been the least bit nervous about it, don't really understand how some are so terrified of it. Not necessarily your kid, I'm speaking more about grown men. Of course, I'm a grown man and go full retard over spiders, yet can pick up a snake and not be bothered the least bit.

Fun fact of the day, Ben Burnley - the lead singer of Breaking Benjamin - is so terrified of flying that he has incorporated his phobia of flying (and many other phobias) into his music like sounds of planes going down and captain speaking over the intercom..... and the band has never toured outside of the US because he will not fly anywhere. They drive to each destination they play at in the US.

I ****ing hate flying. I've flown several times a few times out side the country over water. I think for me it's a i cant control if i'm going to crash or not. And one plane i was on almost crashed landing once that sure as **** didnt help me any.

Again, I wasn't trying to be a ****, nor did I bring fair rides in to the thread. I just stated that I thought a 10 Y/O should be able to cope with the fear of flying barring any tragic or harrowing previous experience with the world of aviation. Maybe I was raised by some Neanderthal motherfuckers, but I was forced by my grandfather and my father to confront my fears and learn to control them. Again I wasn't trying to insult anyone's child or insult anyone's parenting skills.

I still fly 8-12 times a year and at your kid's age my parents would throw me on an airplane all by myself and ship me up to my grandparents place (Charlotte to Boston with a stop in Trenton, NJ every time) so my opinion is a little jaded. I still get nervous from time to time but only on some really sketchy landings. Best thing to do IMO is pop some gum and just put some movie, game or music on your phone, throw the headphones in and just get distracted. I do like the idea of Planes that someone mentioned or something like that. Although as an adult, don't **** up and watch Flight the night before you fly. Been there - done that. I was a paranoid MF'er that day laughing1

Eddyj said:
How does a plane almost crash land?

I can tell you how a Blackhawk makes a hard landing after being shot the **** up... Worst day of my life, both in a Helicopter and out. Went black on ammo and water. CAS saved our asses... :drinkers:

Eddyj said:
How does a plane almost crash land?

Going in to land something happened to the wing or something and it was sketchy as ****. It was in one of those little twin engine planes that like 8-12 people can fit in. hit the run way sideways. Whats ****ed up is we had to circle the air port a couple times because there was a plane coming in that was on ****ing fire. Then ours we circle back around and the damn plane felt like it was in a paint mixer it was shaking so hard something about the wing flap or something idk i'm not a pilot. But i've never been a big fan of flying at all.

jeepmedic said:
I can tell you how a Blackhawk makes a hard landing after being shot the **** up... Worst day of my life, both in a Helicopter and out. Went black on ammo and water. CAS saved our asses... :drinkers:

That's insane man. Thanks for your service. If I ever run into you on the trail beers on me sir.

jeeptj99 said:
Going in to land something happened to the wing or something and it was sketchy as ****. It was in one of those little twin engine planes that like 8-12 people can fit in. hit the run way sideways. Whats ****ed up is we had to circle the air port a couple times because there was a plane coming in that was on ****ing fire. Then ours we circle back around and the damn plane felt like it was in a paint mixer it was shaking so hard something about the wing flap or something idk i'm not a pilot. But i've never been a big fan of flying at all.

That's insane man. Thanks for your service. If I ever run into you on the trail beers on me sir.
:drinkers:

I just want to say this... I bet you hate being a nervous person. Like deep inside it is one of the things you wish you could change but don't know how or think it is too late... Bad news, we as parents make our children the way they are. Kids feed of their parents, and 10 is almost fully developed in ways, but not to late to teach him to be brave, take chances, and live without worry.

My parents were both worry warts, I am now that I am a father, and I can already see the negative traits of mine coming out in my 2 year olds behavior

jeepmedic said:
Again, I wasn't trying to be a ****, nor did I bring fair rides in to the thread. I just stated that I thought a 10 Y/O should be able to cope with the fear of flying barring any tragic or harrowing previous experience with the world of aviation. Maybe I was raised by some Neanderthal motherfuckers, but I was forced by my grandfather and my father to confront my fears and learn to control them. Again I wasn't trying to insult anyone's child or insult anyone's parenting skills.

I imagine we have both seen some interesting things and been some interesting places. I wasn't saying that I didn't receive some of the Neanderthal treatment myself. Some fears can be inborn and some come from irrational reasons that not many on the face of the planet understand. I have seen some people that have these fears, rational or irrational, that take years to get over or that may never get over them. I also know that being told to suck it up works for some and for others causes a battle of wills. I am pretty strong willed and will leave with a quote from Good Will Hunting.

Will Hunting: He used to just put a belt, a stick, and a wrench on the kitchen table and say, 'Choose.'
Sean McGuire: Well, I gotta go with the belt there.
Will Hunting: I used to go with the wrench.
Sean McGuire: Why?
Will Hunting: Cause **** him, that' why.

I wasn't quite that bad, but I would take a beating rather than submit. I was also not your easy going happy little kid. I am a lot less dark in my thoughts these days, but can remember scaring myself when I was angry or hurt.

jeepmedic said:

Been there done that got one of my 3 Purple Hearts from a crashhawk hitting the the ground and rolling like a baby across the ground!!! Still would rather fly than drive.