• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Quad vs Dirtbike vs Rzr?

RusM

So I'm thinking about trying something a little more active than my truck. Not really sure which direction I'd like to go. What do you ride and why? How are the recreation areas for quads vs the other two? I'm pretty sure there's more than what we've got for trucks. I'm somewhAt leaning towards a quad but want to hear what other people like about Rzr or bikes.:hi:

For trail miles---a bike for sure. I did the bike/quad thing but found I liked going way to fast and well I lived up to my name quite often..:haha:

I liked my bike when I had it, seemed like there were more options to go riding. Plus narrow little trails are fun :) and it doesn't hurt as bad when the bike falls on you vs a quad. I've ridden both quads and bikes.

i have had a dirt bike and love it. done the desert 100 more times than i can count. bought a quad for hunting and just bought a rzr last week. they all have their pluses.

I spend about an equal amount of time on my quad as I do my dirt scooter, but I always get more injuries on the bike:redneck: I've taken my old mans rzr for a few spins and while fun, it's not really my cup of tea.

Kinda hard to compare them all in one section. If you like to get out on your own then a bike for sure especially with todays options with the dual sports. Pretty sweet setup's.

I never liked quads but that just me. I rode bikes before quads and like how nimble bikes are and how light they are. Really feel like you can rip through the trails more on a bike. But quads are fun if you like to mess around in the mud.

If you got a family or like to bring friends a lot then id say Rzr would be the choice. Definitely fun to drive around and rally down the logging roads but any time I see one on the trail when im in my 4x4 i never say id rather be doing that...To each their own. I enjoy crawling and putting around.

But kinda like crash said, i dont ride as much any more cause i gotta be at work the next day, cant afford to be broken in the hospital. Im more of an easy going trail rider now when i can get out there.

The rzr's are basically a non-street legal jeep at this point. They are just 3" short of being the same wheelbase as a CJ-2A, and I think about the same power!

In WA, I would lean towards a dual sport, even if you trailer it to your riding area. You can at least ride on roads AND trails and not get in trouble.

Not much for quads in this state unless you like mud, or fighting with jeeps to share the trails.

rzr's your pretty much limited to jeep trails and sand dunes.

Sure there is Moses lake sand dunes (moses hole ash pit), and Beverly dunes (another ash pile near moses lake), but they are pretty poor excuses for sand. For about the same amount of driving from the Tacoma area, you could be at Sand Lake on the Oregon coast and get a sample of what dunes can really be like. If you get hooked, then head south for the bigger oregon dunes.

A quad will go places a rzr cant, and depending on size of quad and rider skill, do it faster too. The bike will go places neither can go, but you gotta work for it. And sand sucks on a bike unless your into that kinda pain. The rzr can haul a passenger comfortably, and you might get a better half to want to go riding more.

Your really comparing apples to oranges tho. You need to pick the places you like or want to ride, and then pick the vehicle, and if you want a passenger or not.

People spend too much on those rzr's. Saw one at walker and the guy had 25k into it :eeek: who is there right mind.....

That being said some people spend too much on quads and bikes IMO. Gotta find that balance between fun and cost.

People spend too much on those rzr's. Saw one at walker and the guy had 25k into it :eeek: who is there right mind.....

That being said some people spend too much on quads and bikes IMO. Gotta find that balance between fun and cost.

Same could be said about wheelers!! Different strokes for different folks:awesomework:

Ive ridden all three over the years. Dirt bikes back when I was in school and in decent shape. Now days I doubt I'd last half a day on a bike before I was whipped.

When I have kids that are of riding age (3-4 years) I want to get a couple quads and a RZR, I'd spend most of my time on the quad and the wife digs the RZR. And the kids can take turns riding passenger and on a mini-quad.

But when we hit the dunes, it's always a good time when my buddy lets me drive his RZR. Despite what some say, RZR's are much different from an old clunky jeep. Let's see someone take a CJ2a and jump it 20+ feet over and over. Theres not much those RZR's can't do, they are a blast.

But that being said, I also wouldn't mind getting a dual sport eventually because it opens up so many doors for exploring.

He wasn't saying they were no different then a Jeep. He was implying that they're huge. Hell, may as well get a dune buggy for the cost of what rzr's are if you just want to jump some dunes.

I bought the kids a quad. Hopefully I can get one for each of us eventually. We will be limited to friends properties, the dunes, small trails etc. Just figured it was the best family option.

If it was just me, a dual sport is awesome for the NW.

Last edited:
Quads and dunes kick ass! Dirt bikes not so much unless your into sweating allot.

Dirtbikes kick ass to, but HURT much more. Me and bikes always lead to expensive hill climbs!

I grew up on dirt bikes and loved them. CHEAP and fun.

Then I got older and could afford to try the quads and found the dunes, awesome!

Nothing better than a quad with a sixpack rack and dizzy snow donuts!

For instance, at Walker, you are going to have to run the 4x4 trails due to wheelbase. However, you will have some issues on the obstacles.

I have seen herds of Rzrs in Moab and they work well there as long as you aren't trying the hard trails.

I have always been on bikes and quads and rzrs are boring unless its super whoope whoops out stuff then I like rzrs. Plated bike is the way to go for sure im looking to get a husqvarna te310 or te510

So after seeing how much a Rzr costs, that shits out! I'm probably going to get a quad as the people I would be riding with have them already and the old lady wants a quad:cheer:. I'll most likely look into a bike down the road a bit.
Now the question is which quad do I get? I think I've narrowed it down to the Raptor (which everyone recommends), a 700xx, or an Outlaw 525 IRS. Seems like the IRS quads would be good for trail riding around here. I need to get out and test some out to see what I like!

I have owned quads for years. Not go fast and jump, just utility quads for hunting and camping. I have a 650 Kawasaki Brute Force now and love the power and front locker.

That said, if I were to buy one again I would go for the 750 because it is EFI and the 650 is twin carbs.

Riding ATVs on most "jeep" trails sucks too. You are almost always leaning to one side or the other. I like the challenge, but my wife and son do not enjoy it.

Tahuya has alot of ATV trails, but there are only so many times you can ride the same loops before you start to think about selling because you never go anymore.

That brings up the next topic, whatever you buy you will loose your ass on just like any offroad rig.

Last point, I am currently thinking about selling my quad to buy a dual sport plated bike. No trailer needed and it opens up the use of all the single track trails the state has to offer.

I'm buying used for sure! I'm also really thinking Bout buying both a quad and a bike! But I also capitol forest 20min from my house and a huge private riding area at my friends property where I've been camping lately.