• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Quads/orv tag questions..

Heres my input. My Dad has taken Go-Karts and gotten ORV plates/tabs for them MANY times for use out on the trails. He even had to create his own VIN on them (or use engine serial number on some). Its a SIMPLE process, just takes a little time.

Step 1. Call WSP Vehicle Inspection Office in Bellevue, leave a voicemail (they never answer) that you have a quad you want registered as an ORV.

Step 2. After they call you back and you make the appointment, take in the quads to the appointment. They will inspect them, issue titles or whatever they want to do from there.

Step 3. Get tags/tabs in the mail, install on vehicle, drive.

My Dad JUST did this for a new go-kart he picked up. I got a text from him today telling me he got the plates/tabs for it and its ready for memorial day weekend.

I dont know how that will help if they run the VIN and see that it actually has an owner. If they have ever been licensed, you need a release of interest (in lieu of a title) from the registered owner, or, ask the DOL about the procedure for ownership in doubt, they should know what this is.

Basically, you send a certified letter along with a release of interest form to the last known address of the registered owner. If theres no reply to the letter, you get a temporary registration for three years I think it is. You are the legal owner, unless the original owner contests and wants the vehicle back. After the year and you still have them, you can apply for a title. You can still sell them or do whatever you want during the probational period, you just have to do it with a release of interest form and not the actual title since you wont have one. The probationary period continues even if its sold, so whoever the owner is at the end of that period can apply for the title.

Ive personally done the ownership in doubt route multiple times now for different vehicles. Hopefully something in this post helps you.

~T.J.

Last edited:
I dealt with a similiar issue of no title on a quad. If a title was ever issued then all you need todo is go down to the DOL and have them look up the current owner. Then they will give you a form to have the person to fill out. Then mail the form to the address certified and if it returns undeliverable then take it unopened to the DOL and they will issue you the registration for a probationary period. Once that period is over, you can apply for a new title.

Fixed. This is the process I was talking about in my post.

~T.J.

EDIT: Link for info on this process

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=308-56A-210

Last edited:
Ok so we got a couple quads for the kids(125cc)--chineese imports (2-jet moto's).

Now these quads don't have a title (My old 250r quadracer did) and have never been licenensed for orv use. So does anybody know how to go about getting them legal to use on DNR land? I have searched with google and can't come up with anything...

Why did you buy two motorized ORV's without titles?

:D
Its a two step program

Step one.......drive to dunes

Step two.........buy 10 dollar tags for two years.

OR...............................the hundred step progarm that wsp has set up to help you with. They are soooooo helpfull, you know!:rolleyes:

I dont know the ins and outs of WSPs total deal, as I always gave up at step 31 or 32 and went to the dunes:awesomework:

Or.....just call the Oregon ORV office and they'll send it to you...no need to drive to Oregon.

As for Oregon ORV tags I assume you have to go to oregon to get them?

NOPE!
I did this with an old sandrail I redid....no paperwork on the old frame.....my "VIN" was one of my old phone #'s, which was OK'd by the lady at the permit office....all done over the phone. So easy my wife did.
I had my OR ORV tags in 2 weeks.:awesomework:

Oregon isn't nearly as "hung up" on certain things as Washington.:cheer:

Last edited:
I went down and talked to the DOL. So I either have to get certificates of origion or I have to go the the WSP, get them inspected and then go back to the DOL and get lost title so to speak--as what was stated already here in the thread.

My kids are going to be bummed and upset :booo:

I think most of these off brand quads that you buy from a hole in the wall dealer will not come with a title. I bought one for my kid and it came with a cert of origin (about 6 weeks later in the mail) The OR tag is probably the easiest way to go. There are a couple places in WA to go and pick one up. Some OR orv tag vendors require a vin some don't seem to care. I have bought them from a sandrail guy in Auburn before.
Here> http://fabtecsandrails.com/HOME.htm Not sure if he still offers them.

Just found this too.

"If you cannot find a location near you, you may call 1-800-551-6949 and purchase your ATV permit over the phone using Visa or MasterCard. Please have your make, body style, VIN number, personal information and card information available."

Last edited: