• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Question for IceHawk

jimpaget

Patrick called me just before I left work. He asked me a question that was Toyota-specific, so I had no idea of the answer.

He is getting ready to re-install his newly rebuilt engine tomorrow and needs to know if the throwout bearing needs to be pressed on.

The rig is an '85 Toyota truck.

jimpaget said:
Patrick called me just before I left work. He asked me a question that was Toyota-specific, so I had no idea of the answer.

He is getting ready to re-install his newly rebuilt engine tomorrow and needs to know if the throwout bearing needs to be pressed on.

The rig is an '85 Toyota truck.

The bearing is pressed onto a collar (part that slides on the input shaft). So it has to be pressed off and new one pressed on.

crash said:
The bearing is pressed onto a collar (part that slides on the input shaft). So it has to be pressed off and new one pressed on.
Last time I replaced mine it came with a new collar thingie... No pressing anything, just clipped it on the arm.

skrause said:
Last time I replaced mine it came with a new collar thingie... No pressing anything, just clipped it on the arm.

Last couple I have used you had to but they were the heavy duty versions also. Maybe thats the difference...

crash said:
Last couple I have used you had to but they were the heavy duty versions also. Maybe thats the difference...
Dunno, mine was a HD TuRD clutch kit. :redneck: I guess it's pretty easy to tell though, if it's just a bare bearing then you gotta do some pressin'

thank you for info. I gotthe motor in today. should be runinng tomrrow. keep you all posted

it's a year specific thing. earlier trucks used a steel bearing hub with a replaceable bearing that you pressed on, and had 2 cheesy clips that hold everything on the fork.

the later ones(late 80s and beyond i think) had the unit bearing with an integral wire clip and polymer hub. the whole thing gets tossed out and replaced when you do the clutch.

i'm fairly sure they're interchangeable as long as you use all the correct year parts, but don't quote me on that.

kyle said:
it's a year specific thing. earlier trucks used a steel bearing hub with a replaceable bearing that you pressed on, and had 2 cheesy clips that hold everything on the fork.

the later ones(late 80s and beyond i think) had the unit bearing with an integral wire clip and polymer hub. the whole thing gets tossed out and replaced when you do the clutch.

i'm fairly sure they're interchangeable as long as you use all the correct year parts, but don't quote me on that.
I don't remember what my OEM one ('86) was, it might have been plastic under all the grunge, but the TRD replacement was definitely pressed onto a metal doohicky. Went right in, still using it today.

Latest posts