• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Question for Jeep TJ experts

patooyee

I am helping my brother in law replace the engine in a fairly nice stock-ish 1999 TJ. His story is probably similar to many: Young guy, didn't know a thing about mechanics, overpaid for a used mildy built Jeep, didn't consult anyone, got it home, immediately started having problems, didn't pay attention to some of them, overheated engine, didn't stop driving it, and now needs a new one. Have a couple of questions for people more accustomed to dealing with TJ's:

1. We got the new engine in and running now and in the process ended up with an extra cable that was missing the connector at the end. I remember disconnecting it when we pulled the old engine, so I know it was connected, at the time I assumed it was a cruise control cable, and Alldata agrees in that where it came from would be a cruise control cable. It connected exactly opposite from the throttle cable on the bracket. Then I found out that the Jeep doesn't have cruise control. I followed the cable through the firewall and it runs up in front of his shifter console and into the dash at which point I wasn't able to follow it any more. It does not appear to do anything that I can tell, appears to be too long for whatever it does do, and the only other cable that Alldata lists for these vehicles is the transmission cable for automatics. This one is a manual. So what is this cable?

2. In the process of overheating the Jeep I guess he over pressurized the system somehow too because it blew the upper radiator hose off and shot high pressure steam out for miles before he stopped driving it. The radiator is now leaking at the tanks so he needs a new one. While shopping for it I noticed there is an application for an automatic and a manual transmission for radiators, the difference being that the auto has a built-in trans cooler. The rad that came in the Jeep when he bought it is an automatic one that never did have the trans cooler hooked up. Is it normal for the manuals to come with auto radiators? I bought him the manual radiator in any case.

Is it possible / realistic that this Jeep may have started life with an automatic and was swapped to manual at some point? This might explain the radiator that is in it now as well as if the extra cable was a transmission cable that was just hooked up in the wrong spot. The transmission has been off at least once before us because the heads of the top mounting bolts were rounded off and a PITA to get out.

3. Also, the Jeep has an aftermarket 2-speed electric fan with a sensor in the radiator. Low speed on the fan doesn't work, high speed does. But the wiring job is totally ghetto and I have to redo it without knowing what I am working with. It was wired to constant power so that when the Jeep is parked in the hot FL sun the fan will actually turn on and run the battery down while it is unattended. The sensor has 2 wires on it, a small green and small yellow. Both of them got torn during the tear-down and I need to know what to do with them. Does it sound familiar to any popular aftermarket fan setups that ya'll have heard of? It is obviously meant for Jeep TJ's because the shroud bolts right up to some factory weld-nuts on the radiator. Poorly designed setup overall though as it leaves a 2" gap between the rad and the shroud and interferes with the water pump pulley. I ca see where the installer cut the back of the fan motor plastic housing out to make room for the pulley studs to turn.

1. I thought about that, too. But there is not currently a hand throttle anywhere in the cab nor anywhere that looks like it used to have one. In addition, the cable goes through a factory rubber grommet in the firewall that is as old / halfway rotted as all the others. This indicates to me that its most likely been there since the Jeep was built at the factory.

PrairieDogOffroad said:
Any pictures? Maybe it goes to the heater control valve.

I can get some pics but they will be unimpressive. It is just your basic cable. And why would a heater cable be linked to the throttle linkage?

Re: Re: Question for Jeep TJ experts

TBItoy said:
Sounds like it was an auto... How bout you decode the vin number and see?

Plan to next time I am near the Jeep to get the VIN. I was just going to call the local Chrysler parts dept. but is there an online resource for that?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Question for Jeep TJ experts

patooyee said:
Plan to next time I am near the Jeep to get the VIN. I was just going to call the local Chrysler parts dept. but is there an online resource for that?

I just googled "jeep tj vin decoder". Doesn't look like they put much info in the vin though... A dealership could probably tell you tho

http://www.quadratec.com/jeep_knowledgebase/article-100.htm

In no particular order because I don't remember what all I just read? Either radiator will work. Take Bs electric fan off and install factory fan and shroud. Tie the cable back if it doesn't have anywhere to hook up! :afro:

al1tonyota said:
In no particular order because I don't remember what all I just read? Either radiator will work. Take Bs electric fan off and install factory fan and shroud. Tie the cable back if it doesn't have anywhere to hook up! :afro:

We don't like the electric fan either but we don't have any of the factory shroud, fan, or coupler and he's so broke from replacing the engine and everything related that he's not willing to drop another dime.

al1tonyota said:
Factory stuff shouldn't cost much as your a pretty good guy right? Let the poor fella borrow $100 or so...

Don't get me started ...

Re: Re: Question for Jeep TJ experts

Get the factory fan **** from a pull-a-part for about $25?

Went through the same deal on a buddy's Yukon that some dagos put electric fans on

Don't know about where you live, but down here finding a TJ, or any Jeep for that matter, in a Pull A Part would be like finding a virgin Heidi Klum tied to a poll in a prison full of thousands of rapists who were allowed to roam free.

This is beach country. Jeeps don't go to graveyards, and when they do, they are raped within minutes of arrival. Even shitty rust bucket 2.5L's go for $4000 min down here. My friends and I were actually joking about starting a side business driving up north, buying junked Jeeps, and selling them down here.

New here but I've done lots of work on my TJ, thought I'd try to help... Cable opposite the throttle sounds like the kick down for an auto Trans. I'd suspect a previous swap. Radiator with the Trans cooler sounds like a clue also. One of the worst OEM Trans coolers out there. Those things run steel lines right next to the exhaust down pipe effectively reheating the fluid on its way back to the Trans. Disconnected mine and running external cooler with much better results.

The electric fan straight to hot is not a totally abnormal thing. The TJ suffers from hot soak misfires. I have mine wired straight to hot on an inline thermostat which seems to be better than the radiator probe but it does run when the engine is off. Does so by design to keep the injectors from cooking to vapor lock. I'd stick with the electric fan but get a decent battery and alternator. Then again, if budget is of concern the cheapest option is to just rewire it to ignition sourced power. Should only cost a few cents worth of connectors and wire.

Good luck with buttoning everything up.