• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Question for people running propane on v8 buggys

As long as u have good coolant flow thrue the vaporizer
U should not have icing problems
I never iced up in my b2 even on snow runs:awesomework:

Granted Troy has a very unusual set-up, But he can ice over his vaporizer with 2 full throttle passes(so i hear)

My vaporizer bracket is attached to a stud on the exh, So heat from it will eventually warm it in addition to the coolant. I am also thinking of boxing the vaporizer in to keep it toasty. Gotta do some testing first though.

Troy, Have you thought of any tricks to prevent your system frm Icing over? Not :stirpot: i just have sme idea's im thinking of doing.

Warm it up before racing around is all you need to do. The heat from the water is what vaporizes it. Nothing else is needed, these systems are figured out. The last thing you want to do is melt seals and such.

Bunk, you Are very misinformed. This is a tech section, if you dont know first hand what your talking about please dont reply with "So i Hear". Thanks

My vaporizors do NOT ice up. with my latest set up I run a 1100cfm billet regulator supplied by 2 vaporizors to fuel the Super Charger. Duel vaporizors are needed to supply enough fuel under boost conditions which I learned in the early stages as my engine was'nt receiving enough fuel and it was like driving a V6. ......In the dunes under full throttle i can freeze a fitting on a tank as the outlets are not large enough. To compensate this i use "Y" adapter to draw equal amounts off 2 tanks which in turns draws half from each tank which fixed this issue. And yes it does suck up the propane, just like it would gas under WOT.

This set up is not common, usually a impco 425 and a model E regulator is perfect for a mildly built SBC

I dont claim to be a pro but i have delt with a lot of trial and error and learned a bunch along the way. :cool:

Last edited:
More info on the sensor for tuning please...:awesomework:

I need to tune mine, it's running rich... I've got buddies that have messed with theirs and over time found a sweet spot... I would like to know exactly what's happening with mine...

Also, more info about the springs and diaphrams... Is there certain kits I should be looking at for a Impco 425 on a sb350???

Thanks...

Start with a rich and lean indicator, I think i got mine from summit, weld a bung in the exhaust.
Mine is a digital unit, then i just remove it and plug the exhaust port
Its helped alot.., search the web for tuning the vaporizors and regulators

Regulators do wear over time, i have got used ones that suck and others that are nice and tight. A sloppy one will always run rich and burn through propane.

Start with a rich and lean indicator, I think i got mine from summit, weld a bung in the exhaust.
Mine is a digital unit, then i just remove it and plug the exhaust port
Its helped alot.., search the web for tuning the vaporizors and regulators

Regulators do wear over time, i have got used ones that suck and others that are nice and tight. A sloppy one will always run rich and burn through propane.

Thanks, I'll look into that...

I've been wanting to buy rebuild kits for both the 425 and model e... I'll do some research before buying now...

Bunk, you Are very misinformed. This is a tech section, if you dont know first hand what your talking about please dont reply with "So i Hear". Thanks

Woopsie, I was told this by a reputable person. My bad. Guess i dont need to do anything.

To clarify, He said nothing of a tank fitting freezing up. Anyways, Thanks for sharing your knowledge on the subject. Maybee we can wheel in a couple weeks so i can pick your brain with any issues i might be having? As of yet the only thing i havnt done is recurve the hei distributor for a faster curve, Was going to wait and see how fast it ramped up.

Last edited:
Woopsie, I was told this by a reputable person. My bad. Guess i dont need to do anything.

To clarify, He said nothing of a tank fitting freezing up. Anyways, Thanks for sharing your knowledge on the subject. Maybee we can wheel in a couple weeks so i can pick your brain with any issues i might be having? As of yet the only thing i havnt done is recurve the hei distributor for a faster curve, Was going to wait and see how fast it ramped up.

:cool: lets do it

Latest posts