• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Question on headers

Ty.

I'm building headers for the buggy. I have have a decent start on them, and pretty much finally got it all figured out how to make them fit the way I'd like them to.

Then Ia friend tells me about "equal length tubes", and the benefits of that. It is kind of in one ear out the other. Then he starts telling me that the tubes on one side of the motor need to be close to equal with the opposing side. Now this would really throw a wrench in my plans... Is there anything to this? Is it that important?

Basically right now the tubes are as follows. From the driver foreword 10" 16" 18"
From the passenger foreword 18" 12" 10"

I built the headers on my buggy. I bought complete headers and cut them apart and retubed to my needs. I did my best to keep them "equal length"........I got them pretty close but not perfect. In a perfect world they would be perfectly equal.....In our use I feel it doesn't really matter. The anemic 5.0 in my buggy,with UNequal headers,will throw axle parts out at will.

Build your ****, to the best of your abilities, and **** **** up!

I built the headers on my buggy. I bought complete headers and cut them apart and retubed to my needs. I did my best to keep them "equal length"........I got them pretty close but not perfect. In a perfect world they would be perfectly equal.....In our use I feel it doesn't really matter. The anemic 5.0 in my buggy,with UNequal headers,will throw axle parts out at will.

Build your ****, to the best of your abilities, and **** **** up!

Right on.. I like your philosophy. :cool:

I with the mauler. In a drag car where every last .001 of a horse power matters sure. But in a 4x4, especially a non-race rig, no big deal. I am currently redoing the header on the passenger side of my toyota as it hits the floor equal length never even came into the equation. Build em so they fit around everything else and go beat your ****.

I with the mauler. In a drag car where every last .001 of a horse power matters sure. But in a 4x4, especially a non-race rig, no big deal. I am currently redoing the header on the passenger side of my toyota as it hits the floor equal length never even came into the equation. Build em so they fit around everything else and go beat your ****.

.......:beer:

Its not a boat, just weld it up and run it.

Did ya balance and blueprint the engine? Did ya port the heads? Big cam? big comp? etc?

If ya didnt do ALL that stuff, then who fawkin cares about tube length.

Im gonna go out on a limb here and guess that guy that brought it up and got you worried about it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Has no buggy or any 4x4 for that matter,
He has no drag car, or racing machine except for a motorbike,
Drinks beer in your garage because he has no reason to hang in his own pathetic garage,
etc.

Is this your worry some friend? :corn:

Its not a boat, just weld it up and run it.

Did ya balance and blueprint the engine? Did ya port the heads? Big cam? big comp? etc?

If ya didnt do ALL that stuff, then who fawkin cares about tube length.

Im gonna go out on a limb here and guess that guy that brought it up and got you worried about it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Has no buggy or any 4x4 for that matter,
He has no drag car, or racing machine except for a motorbike,
Drinks beer in your garage because he has no reason to hang in his own pathetic garage,
etc.

Is this your worry some friend? :corn:
He's a young'n just really getting into wheelin. He came over last night and we worked a little on his Toyota. Once he saw what I was doing and why he agreed it should be fine. Most of the tubes will be closer than I originally thought in length. From what he was telling me, l think he got his info off a ricer forum.

Heck Ibefore l started this thread I should have went out and looked at my Jeep headers.

I jumped out of bed last night and went to the garage and sure enough the Sanderson headers I put on my Jeep where all out of whack with their lengths, side to side and every other way.

Pushing the motor for pristine power and time on the track--then yes equal length. In our world--you would never know....

Just about to finish weld the last two tubes on the drivers side now... Then I'll weld em' to the flange after I finish it, then the collector, then on to the other side.

I picked up a craigslist tig welder. I probably could have picked an easier project for my first time TIG welding, but so far its going O.K.