• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Ram Assist troubleshooting

Gibby1

Did I BREAK that.......
So, I tackled my steering problem of not being able to turn fully to the right. I found a bump stop that was hitting and was bent. I took this out but it still didn't turn any farther. When turning to the right, I hit a hard stop, like the steering box hit it's lock, but when turning to the left I get a squishy stop, like something was binding, probably the knuckles at the end of their range.

I thought that perhaps the pitman arm had slipped on the output shaft on the steering box. I pulled that off and the threads all looked fine. The TRI ball going was REALLY sloppy connecting the drag link to the pitman arm but that didn't seem enough to cause the loss of travel, particularly when it affected only one direction.

So with the drag link disconnected from the pitman arm, I turn the wheel lock to lock. The pitman arm moved normally but I found it strange the the wheels didn't turn. Thinking that perhaps the PS pump needed to be running for the RAM to work, so I fired up the motor. However, still no movement in the tires when I turned from lock to lock. I would be expecting the RAM to turn the wheels with the engine running even though the drag link was disconnected from the pitman arm, because the RAM was still attached.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

<complete guess>

If there is no resistance to the movement of the pitman arm, the steering box won't ever allow much pressure to build in the system, right? So the fluid just recirculates freely. Thus no fluid is forced into the ram since there isn't any pressure in the ported box.

I could be way off, but it makes sense if I'm thinking about this correctly.

So this is odd. I played with this a little more and discovered that the tires would move if I went to the end of lock to lock and I put a little pressure on the steering wheel, almost like the RAM would only assist when there was increased resistance? Is that the way a RAM assist is supposed to function, or should it move smoothly throughout the range. The tires are off the ground at this time to help iron out my steering issues.

<complete guess>

If there is no resistance to the movement of the pitman arm, the steering box won't ever allow much pressure to build in the system, right? So the fluid just recirculates freely. Thus no fluid is forced into the ram since there isn't any pressure in the ported box.

I could be way off, but it makes sense if I'm thinking about this correctly.

I was typing as you posted this. I think you might be right.

When turning to the right, I hit a hard stop, like the steering box hit it's lock, but when turning to the left I get a squishy stop, like something was binding, probably the knuckles at the end of their range.

This sounds like your draglink is too short or bent.

Yes the ram is driven by the steering box meeting resistence. If the drag link is not connected the ram will just sit there until you hit the end of the travel in the box then it will extend or retract.

Dale you say it feels different at the end of the travel in each direction.. If you put the front up on jackstands will it steer fully lock to lock?

Is your axle centered under your rig still?

That's one I hadn't look at. I ASSUMED that it was but that could account for the drag link all of a sudden seeming short? With my orbit eyes, the front end can drift a little side to side.

JR, I don't care what everyone says about you, you're pretty smart!

Guessing that the U-bolts came a little loose, since just about everything else under there needed tightening... the axle is sitting 1/2 to 3/4" off center. That would explain EVERYTHING, combined with a few other loose parts.

Just soaked all the ubolts with WD-40, let them sit for a bit and see if I can get them all loose. The hardest part is going to be jacking up the rig high enough to get the axles to hang and make it easy to center. Looking at the right side spring pack, I may have broken a center pin again as well. That'll be the 3rd or 4th time for that.

Classic open up a can of worms.

I pulled out the front left spring. The center pin was bent but not busted. So I peek over at the other side, and THAT'S that one that busted up! So now I'm pulling out both springs and I think to myself... the right side spring really is weaker than the left for some reason so since they're already out, might as well get them repaired. So, going to run them down to bent springs on Friday (hoping that they're open) and have them rehab my springs. One of the collars is gone, could use new bushings and a few pads are missing as well.

Then I see that my right front brake line isn't sitting where it usually is. I ripped it off twice this year and didn't realize that I'd bent the hard line as well so I need to take that off and make a new section of line.

Might as well pressure wash everything while I've got everything off.

The hubs were a little sticky unlocking them, so I guess they should come off and get cleaned.

The right side seal has leaked for a while, not going to change that but better check fluids and maybe pull the diff cover since it sat is dirty water for a will a few times.

The front driveline had two of 4 bolts stripped out where it attached to the output on the transfer case. Of course when I replaced them with bolts and nuts they nuts hit the mount... argghhh.

I still haven't finish mounting the the IROKs on the beadlocks, maybe later tonight with that...