• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Ready To Run RC crawler help-info for me and my son

COLT

I'm on a boat.
I am thinking about getting a couple RC crawlers for me and my son for Christmas. My son will be turning 4 this year and loves this stuff like I do. Many of you have probably met him out on the trail. I definitely want to buy both of the crawlers ready to run. I am hoping some of you can give me some ideas or pointers on where I can start looking. :dunno: I used to be pretty big into the RC world but I have been out of it for so long, and I don't even know what is good right now! For my boys Crawler I think I am going to need something extremely tough. This little dude is VERY hardcore with his toys. A long battery life would be a huge plus also! I would like my RC crawler to have 4 wheel steer out of the box if possible. I am sure my RC will be much more technical than his will. It would be great if yall could throw out some ideas or some links to some websites-rc crawlers that you have had good luck with. Again, I am not looking for super hardcore rigs, I just want to find some that are very dependable and easy to maintain- get parts for. Thanks All! :dblthumb:

COLT

www.rccrawlers.com is gonna give you alot of in depth help if they will answer you lol i have a hard time gettin a response alot of times.

I have an axial ax10...had it 2 years and never had any trouble but i dont abuse it and dont really run it too often either. over all its been a good one. Lots of parts for it and the other axial crawlers. They have a new one out now. its the Wraith. It really boils down to how much you want to spend.

get a Ready to Run Axial Wraith.

No doubt that Axial has the biggest aftermarket and parts availabliltiy.

Def. check out rccrawler.com

The little one doesnt need an Axial Wraith, quite yet, Little fast. All though it will crawl to. I would go with a Axial AX10 Scorpion, cant beat em right out of the box.

Check out CKRCCrawlers.com

Ive had good look with them and they will do you a custom 4 wheel steer RC

Batties go to hobbyking.com

It will take 2 or 3 week 2 get what u want but there cheap

AX-10 is awesome outta the box. huge upgrade would be lipo batteries. New ax10s come with Lipo friendly ESCs. As do SCX10 if you like the yota scaler thing.

Speeding said:
AX-10 is awesome outta the box. huge upgrade would be lipo batteries. New ax10s come with Lipo friendly ESCs. As do SCX10 if you like the yota scaler thing.

Thanks Ricky! Definitely going with Axial..

COLT said:
Thanks Ricky! Definitely going with Axial..

The wraith chassis and axles IMO are better than the ax10. (ax10 axles are narrow)

Just throw a 55turn motor on it to make it go slow and you're good.

My 3 year old nephew has a RTR Wraith, we put a 55T motor on it for him and run it on a big 5000mah 3 cell lipo so it has 5-6 hour run time. He is getting much better at driving it (been driving r/c for about a year)

I'd personally recommend going with an SCX10/AX10 based rig as opposed to a Wraith. The biggest reason being that they've been around for a lot longer, parts are easier to come by, and you can find lots available for sale for a good price. The Wraith is a great rig, but it's a little more expensive at the moment being relatively new.

As Ricky said, if you can go lipo, that'll definitely give you more wheelspeed and fun. Not all of the Axial rtr vehicles come with lipo compatible esc's though. The Wraith does, Honcho doesn't, so watch what you buy. If you can't find a good used rig for sale with some upgrades, I'd recommend buying new and just upgrading parts as you break them. Out of the box, the Axial rigs are pretty tough.

Wife been asking me what I want for my B-day....been thinking about one of these. Any of you ever mess with the G-Made Stealth? It looks pretty cool with them big ass tires. lol

Almost too damn many choices.

There are so many! Im thinking an ax10 for the boy and somethng a little wilder for me. I would really like 4ws for mine

COLT said:
There are so many! Im thinking an ax10 for the boy and somethng a little wilder for me. I would really like 4ws for mine

Definitely stick with Axial. Losi seems to be on its way out with crawlers, except for the micro trail trekker. The G-Made rig is fun, great ground clearance with the portal axles, but parts are hard to come by. There are some knock-off brands out there, but you get what you pay for. So Axial all the way.

You won't get 4ws straight out of the box for any of the Axial rigs. However, it's dead simple to upgrade to 4ws with a few parts (you'll need a servo, knuckles, c's and inner axles plus a couple extra bearings). Basically, just mirror what's on the front axle in the rear. You will need a 3 channel radio minimum though (all the rtr Axials come with 2 channel only). More if you want to add a winch or dig. These "toys" can get expensive fast!

If it was me, I'd get your boy this:

http://www.rpphobby.com/axial_scx10_p/ax90016.htm

and yourself this:

http://www.rpphobby.com/Axial_Wraith_Rock_Racer_Buggy_Kit_p/ax90020.htm

The kit doesn't come with any electronics, but better components all around. If you're going 4ws, you're going to need to upgrade the radio and receiver anyways. The motor and servo that come in the rtr for the Wraith will be dead within a week or two of running and the esc is only rated for 2s lipo (3s if you want to solder on a bec). Better to just buy better electronics to start with.

I looked at rear steer... To do it the way I wanted was around $300... I decided I was good with front steer only. LOL.

I see little to no benifit in rear steer unless you're competing on a serious level.

Speeding said:
I looked at rear steer... To do it the way I wanted was around $300... I decided I was good with front steer only. LOL.

I see little to no benifit in rear steer unless you're competing on a serious level.

Good point. I definitely will not be starting out with it..

I have been into nitro cars,boats and airplanes for a while. My grandpa had a shop for a while and my dad flies helis, both models and the big ones. I know how addicting it can be and expensive too! I have all the tools already as well so thats a plus. I have been out of RC for about six years and look forward to seeing how far it has come. I am sure my boy will love his Christmas present this year.