• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Real Gear Welders....anyone?

Bones

That Guy
Thinking of buying this and the aluminum spool gun for $520 plus tax. Anyone have any experience with these or a connection for a coupon code? laughing1

Welder
http://www.gts-welco.com/gts-welco.aspx?pcid=352&ptid=1

Spool gun
http://www.gts-welco.com/gtsweldsstore/detail.aspx?ID=2040

Pirate thread with Pirate answers
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1013404

Looking to get a welder over the winter and honestly I am way out of touch with welders anymore. I owned a Hobart Handler 175 probably 8 years ago and sold it after only 2 years of use due to a rough divorce, sued and lots of life BS.

Chances of this building a full tube rig or the like is not even on the radar. I am more into bikes now. So I am talking the occasional set of handlebars, headers and adding some beef to my utility trailer and general around the house fixes.

I honestly think a 110V unit would be plenty with the capability to use gas but would like to hear from others. If I can find a deal on a 220 I will snag it, but do not feel that it is needed for my limited usage and what I am using it for.

Is Hobart and Miller still the "same" as they were back when I owned mine? Lincoln is also a consideration.

Bang for the buck is key here.

I have a Lincoln sp175 that is 3 years old, 220v and welds everything I need it to. The cool thing about it is the liner (for the wire) from the welder to the gun can be swapped out to use Aluminum wire, for abour $50. Never welded Aluminum with it but it seems like that would be easier to use a standard setup than a spool gun and would be able to get into tighter places. :dunno: Or I could just buy another whole everything from the welder to the gun to use just for Alumunum for ease of swapping. These use the same parts as their 110 models and I have seen several go pretty cheap at the pawn shops.

grcthird said:
I have a Lincoln sp175 that is 3 years old, 220v and welds everything I need it to. The cool thing about it is the liner (for the wire) from the welder to the gun can be swapped out to use Aluminum wire, for abour $50. Never welded Aluminum with it but it seems like that would be easier to use a standard setup than a spool gun and would be able to get into tighter places. :dunno: Or I could just buy another whole everything from the welder to the gun to use just for Alumunum for ease of swapping. These use the same parts as their 110 models and I have seen several go pretty cheap at the pawn shops.
[/quot

To weld AL you need a push pull type setup or a spool gun. AL will ball up if not setup this way. Have you ever tried to weld AL by just swapping liners?

Bones I will get back with you on some good choices for welders when my phone is not dead, but stay with Lincoln or Miller.

wontwork said:
To weld AL you need a push pull type setup or a spool gun. AL will ball up if not setup this way. Have you ever tried to weld AL by just swapping liners?

No I have not tried it yet with this machine. The manual states:

K663-2 Aluminum welding kit - This kit required for welding with .035 Aluminum wire. Included with this kit are a drive roll and idle roll assembley, liner and guide tubes, and a contact tip.
Then in bold print it states to change the liner due to different lubricants used on steel wire contaminating aluminum welds.

The aluminum liner part number is specific for aluminum wire, the steel wire liner part number is different.

I'd like to try to weld aluminum with it, but haven't had a need for it yet so I don't know how well it would work.

even with a teflon or slick liner AL doesn't "push" well, that is the reason you go to spool gun, so the rollers are 2" away from teh weld, and even then mine will birds nest in the short area between the rollers and back of the tip.
I love love blue wire machines.

Yeah I tried to use my small 120 lincoln to do some Al welding on my dash, it wouldn't work. Spool gun is the way to go I guess.