• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Real world 5.9 info

L

lowbudgetjunk

I have been reading articles, cummins forums, talking with folks and I am pretty sure 90% of the info I've received is complete bullshit when it comes to the 12 valve, p7100, 6BT. The year in question is a 1994. It has 250k miles on it and is unmolested.

Things I want to know: what combination of modifications is going to give me good useable torque, good MPG and the lowest egt's? I've read about fuel plates, disabling the waste gate, injector this, turn up that and usually it involves a sponsored part or somone trying to pull 6-800 horse out of one of these engines. I think I would be good in the 350-400 on hp and 500+ on torque.

Toss out some real world information if you can, so I can make a well informed decision.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Rjhoward32006 said:
Turn up the pump a tad, fuel plate, 4k governor springs, intake, exhaust, gauges.
Basic build up will serve you right

This right here. Look into power driven diesel afc live. Supposed to help manage egt and gain hp, torque, mpg, all while being able to adjust on the fly in cab. I just installed mine today haven't gotten to really dial it in 100% yet. Planning on towing the jeep next weekend so I should have better true info then.

Re:

That's electronic stuff right? This one is all mechanical.

Edit.....well damn if I didn't learn some more. Gotta keep researching to see how much them units cost.

Have not messed with one in a long time. What's engine rated at now? Check fuel press, boost while driving in pull, change relief valve can add small washer to raise pressure a bit. Have pump shop turn pump up 10-20% above specs. I built an ISB in a Dodge cost him around 5K all 6 piston, bearings had wrong turbo it was a cluster, had a tuner on it. Only 150K on truck, should have lasted 500K.

Re:

Just picked up a 94 5.9 with 231k on the ticker. Sum bitch is loud.....sounds like a tractor. I pretty much love it.

Re:

lowbudgetjunk said:
Just picked up a 94 5.9 with 231k on the ticker. Sum bitch is loud.....sounds like a tractor. I pretty much love it.

Which trans does it have in it?

Call Josh at Rohlings Diesel Repair at 256-284-0257 and tell him what you want to accomplish with what you have. He will set you up right and has the knowledge that it will last. This is what I would do or maybe he will chime in here.

He is a member here on the board as well rohlingoffroad I believe.

Thanks Brent,yep we specialize in cummins engines and Transmissons but work on almost anything.like the guys above posted these trucks are very easy to make powerful and still last if the correct parts are installed or adjusted to work together.if you decide you want to add some parts I keep most of these upgrades in stock or if you purchase you on and want alittle help on learning and don't want to watch a few hours of YouTube videos Iol.call or swing by and I can help I am located in muscle shoals,Al

Re: Re: Real world 5.9 info

Rohlingoffroad said:
Thanks Brent,yep we specialize in cummins engines and Transmissons but work on almost anything.like the guys above posted these trucks are very easy to make powerful and still last if the correct parts are installed or adjusted to work together.if you decide you want to add some parts I keep most of these upgrades in stock or if you purchase you on and want alittle help on learning and don't want to watch a few hours of YouTube videos Iol.call or swing by and I can help I am located in muscle shoals,Al
I will utilize your services, only if you promise not to kick my teeth in from the mud clump, cussing fit, grey rock ride.

I promise not to be drunk and/or try to assault you.

Honestly, I drive 10k a year hauling and daily driving. I want useable torque, good MPG'S and reliability. I wish I could say....price is not an option, but I'd rather keep the engine build under 2k. The engine currently has 231k on it and even if I have to build it in another 100k, that's 10 years for me.

Finally got my afc live installed correctly and working. Holy **** that thing made my truck come alive. it has never run that good. I will be towing with it this weekend so will have some better info on the EGT controlling and mpg. The beast mode switch is pretty cool to except my egt's go through the roof in no time. So far no complaints on it at all.

Rohlingoffroad said:

Good guy to do business with. He has built my trans (03 dodge) and I've had no problems at all, even though I continue to overload the truck with overweight trailers and let people drive them that you probably wouldn't trust to wash your truck.

My REAL WORLD advice is the trans is complete and utter junk. Keep it as detuned as you can stand and keep an extra trans in the toolbox. Man I cannot even begin to tell you the transmission nightmares associated with those trucks. If you put the money anywhere at all put it in the trans and make absolutely sure its a good reputable builder or you Will be going back in it if you turn the power up. Anybody tells you that trans isn`t that bad when the engine is turned up either has a rabbits foot up there ass or is lying.

Re:

It is getting an NV4500. I thought I posted that, maybe I forgot that part. The .72 OD drops the rpms on the high side by a couple hundred, so it's a no brainer.