• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Reaming with a taper reamer

whiterice

Using a 1-1/2" per ft taper reamer, is the only way to get good holes is on a mill or drill press? Can you hand ream them with a slow speed drill motor and still get good holes. I would be reaming some D30 knuckles and steering arm. Wanting to use the Chev tierod ends.

I've always used a small drill press, at the slow speed setting, and generous amounts of cutting oil. Worked fine for me. If you go with a hand drill, it'll be tougher to keep the hole symetrical (or so I'd worry) and are more likely to burn up the edges of the bit. Whatever you do, use cutting fluid/oil.

I've only done a total of 4 holes, and my bit is a sharp as the day I bought it.

Good luck.

You can hand ream with a T handle as well. Using a hand drill might depend on how deep the hole is. If its 2-3 times deeper than it is wide, and if your careful I dont see it being a problem.

If I had access to a drill press or a mill that would be my first choice.

That said I've done a few with a hand drill. I use a slow-speed 1/2" drive and don't run it at full speed. Depending on the hardness I've done a couple 'dry' and had better results, but for harder materials keep it well lubed.

Brace yourself well, get in a comfortable position and take your time. Don't let the bit chatter, that will give you a crappy hole.
________
Colorado Medical Marijuana Dispensary

Last edited:
I've done it twice w/ a hand drill and things came out fine, though I would have preferred to use a drill press.

As others have said, use plenty of cutting oil and go slow. Have a TRE handy and stop every so often to drop it in and check how much farther you have to go - it's pretty easy to over-ream.

- Chris

You can hand ream with a T handle as well. Using a hand drill might depend on how deep the hole is. If its 2-3 times deeper than it is wide, and if your careful I dont see it being a problem.

X2, hand ream w/ the T-handle, just keep it straight

Well it sounds like I get to pull off the knuckles.. thanks for the tips

Didn't have to pull the knuckle off either, just took the tire off, worked well

Latest posts