• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

rear diff

knucklebuster

Got a question for all you jeepsters. What kind of rear diff would be the easiest to swap in my 84 cj7 so I can get rid of the POS model 20? Need something streetable. I hear a lot of talk about dana 44's. Easy swap? Easy to find one that doesn't need tons of mods? I just want to put something in it that won't break/leak so I can sell the thing.

knucklebuster said:
no, not changing the front. any certain years that will work? are the spring and shock mounts the same? nice truck, by the way.

Why. The amc20 is not a bad axle as long as you have one piece axles and truss the housing. The center is pretty strong for med. usage.....

Truss the tubes, weld the tubes to the center, and you'll be ok. The M20 has a larger ring gear diameter than a D44, bigger bearings, and the 29 spline axle has the same diameter as a D44's 30 spline. You just can't go deeper than 4.88, and there's not as many posi choices for a M20, but other than that, they're good diffs. 1-piece axles are cheap too.

with one piece shafts and a trussed and welded axle you will be good to go for a while. the biggest problem is the splines stripping on the 2 piece and the tubes spining. i would say 33's you would be fine and 35's you would be pushing it.

JOOP said:
Ford 8.8 is a nice step up. :cool:
CJ7's don't have the uber :rb: 5x4.5 lug pattern, which is about the only reason to use an 8.8 in the first place. Besides, the width is wrong.

CrustyJeep said:
CJ7's don't have the uber :rb: 5x4.5 lug pattern, which is about the only reason to use an 8.8 in the first place. Besides, the width is wrong.

The width is an easy fix, along with the bolt pattern. Plus I think I have seen some 8.8's from the factory with 5 on 5.5

JOOP said:
The width is an easy fix, along with the bolt pattern. Plus I think I have seen some 8.8's from the factory with 5 on 5.5
Neither change will contribute in any way to the "easiest" part though.

CrustyJeep said:
Now, if I could just think of an axle that can be swapped into a CJ7 without narrowing :redneck:

86 specific D44. Came in 86 stock.

I think you're going to be better off with a 14 bolt and D60, since you'll probably end up there anyway. Screw narrowing