• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Reciprocating saws which one?

Eric

Looking at getting my dad a good reciprocating saw for xmas.

Which ones are good? recomended models and features?

I know the milwalkie is the original but is it worth the extra money?

He likes good tools, and it just means I might be able to borrow it at some point so looking for a good one.

:corn:

IMO, either Milwaukee or Makita 15-amp. They truly put the 11-amp and 12-amp saws to shame.

I am looking for opions, so please feel free to share more.

What kind of use? Let the smoke out of any of them?

I've owned my Makita for nearly 15yrs, and got it used from a friend in trade for some brake work on his daughter's car....Haven't had ONE issue with it in this time...has remodeled more than one home, done TONS of fab work/exh work/ misc cutting...:awesomework:

I have a craftsman, aniversary one and it works great, now I Iike the milwakee with the turnable head, and quick release blade, other then that that is the only thing I long for in mine. Also my sears one has adjustable blade speed. Hope this helps at all.

I have the basic Dewalt one you get at home depot for $99. Its over 10 years old now and works like new even after all the use I have put it through. The Navy ship yards use Milwakees so that should say something about their quality. I think either one would great. I would however stay away from battery ones. Thats just another consumable you will have to replace after a few years and also have to worry about having a charged battery.

It will be corded. Batteries just dont last that long.

Keep the opions coming please!

I have the basic Dewalt one you get at home depot for $99. .

This. Just don't buy from Home Depot:redneck:

Don't spend more than around a hundred on a AC recipro saw. Most of the internals of the brands all come out of the same factory. You can usually find pretty good deals on DeWalt or Makita if you search the sales. I think both motors are made by Jepson (not sure though)

If you can find an old Milwaukee saw used then get it. They were always the best tools. Lots of metal parts instead of plastic and overpowered motors. Current Milwaukee stuff is still ok but don't expect much from them in the future. They were bought out by Ryobi so you can guess where thier quality is going to go.

Oh and if you don't mind buying used, check your local pawn shop. Offer them half of the sticker price and I bet you get it. I pad $10 for a Makita 4" angle grinder, $25 for a 1/2 Makita drill, and $25 for a Craftsman Saw zaw.

I have a Milwaukee 12a that has been just fine for it's uses. I would however recommend a Bosch, a little spendy but as a brand they're built like a brick. The RS15 is nice and there is another option with a 15amp motor. Depends on how much ummmf he needs. Only word of the wise, avoid ones with quick change blade latches. They're junk, you'll either break off the tab or jam/break the spring. (i've had to warranty many of them) Instead get the ol set screw style or Bosch's pull style chuck. (not one returned due to that failing) :awesomework:

Hope this helps Eric.

Bosch makes a nice saw too, they take alot of abuse without getting hot. I've had my old milwaukie so hot I had to wear welding gloves on a 100 degree day.

Looking at getting my dad a good reciprocating saw for xmas.

Which ones are good? recomended models and features?

I know the milwalkie is the original but is it worth the extra money?

He likes good tools, and it just means I might be able to borrow it at some point so looking for a good one.

:corn:

As a remodeling contractor that has owned and destroyed all the major brands of sawzalls there are only two brands I will buy. On the cordless ones its the dewalts in the 14 and 18 volt for a corded one the ONLY one to buy is the Milwalkie super sawzall. Pure and simple its the hands down best sawzall on the market. This is of course for someone that uses these things all day sometimes everyday. For a average homeowner and occasional use probably any of the major brands are going to be fine. One thing I really like with the super sawzall is the lack of vibration and the length of the stroke uses more of the blade without having to move the saw around.

If you don't mind the drive to b'ham, there's a Milwaukee for sale on CL for $25....Let me get a link...not sure if it's still there, but....

Buy a millwaukie. It's the best corded one my dad has had his for like 20 yrs. Has used the crap out of it. Still going strong. I have two dewalt 18 volts. They've been good to. Good luck Eric

I have used different brands, but the Super Sawzall is by far the best. I have used mine for years, and love it. It's smooth, and the variable speed is nice.

Last edited:
I have the dewalt that has the head that lets you put the blade in at diffrent angles. I like this feature and would buy another one on the basis of that. It works great.

If something is going to go wrong on a chorded model, most of the time it is in the connection from the chord to the internals which means it's fixable regardless of brand. It's like Pokey said, for your use and brand name (and alot of unknown names.)

We are a Bosch dealer and I really used to believe in thier tools. When they hit the market big, they were the best tool to come along since Milwaukee's prime but since then they have gone down hill. Alot of battery problems that seemed to fade into poor quality control on all other aspects of thier tools. To the point that we are considering dropping them.

One other thing to consider is if it comes with a carrying case. Not a big deal, but nice if you are giving it as a gift. Alot of brands are cutting costs by selling thier tool without one (Milwaukee recipros are going this way.)