• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Recommend a decent clutch spring compressor?

patooyee

I'm teaching myself how to rebuild autos. While its not something I'll do regularly, it is something I want to have the ability to do. 100% of all transmissions I have ever paid "professionals" to build for me have failed within their first mile and I'm tired of trusting others. They're also just interesting to me.

Obviously there is a plethora of tools available on eBay all the way from $25 - thousands of dollars. I'm looking for something that will be fairly universal but still cheap enough to be justifiable for someone that may only build a transmission once every couple years.

Anyone got any advice?

The #91 spring compressor tool on eBay and the 700/4L60 low/rev piston spring compressor from TransTech are the only special compressors I used in my 11 years.

Plus a small assortment of snap ring pliers. Even harbor freight is totally fine for the weekend warrior. Just need a couple different tip designs for cir-clips vs. snap rings.

I own a couple giant pair of snap ring pliers but only needed them for manual Trans work and some Allisons. So I wouldn't recommend anything giant for autos.

Oh, if you are ever in a bind without your tools you can use a couple of deep sockets of the same length and use your bench vice. Lay the drum on its side then compress the spring retainer to remove your ring.

You can do the same thing for dodge overdrive units but you need your floor jack because the drum won't fit in the vice and the spring is 800lb force. Then use the bottom of a lift leg or your buggy in the shop. Improvisation, that's what always saves Baers life in the wild. Lol

Have fun dude

Thanks but just to make sure we are on the same page can you please post some links to what you are talking about?

I recently started diving into auto transmissions as well. Starting with a TH350 probably the easiest one to build. I was lucky enough to have inherited some tooling that has helped the learning curve.
Something to hold the case during disassembly and assembly has made things go much smoother, I adapted it to an engine stand so I can move it around as needed. My spring compressor looks to be home made but works very well. If you can find a model similar I think you would be happy with it. For the low reverse clutch I use the bridge and allthread pieces, it is not great but does work fine. A set of bushing drivers if you don't already have some too. The green plastic circle in the last photo is used to keep from cutting the seals while installing the pistons into their bores, works great, 3 liter plastic bottles sections also work.

Hey there ya go. Good info. I was gonna throw a bunch of little tid bits too and explain how to make some of the tools you have shown Rusty. Glad you covered it. Pics are always better.

Sorry man I can't post pics here anymore or links I don't think.

I'll try to post up links and see where I get

http://r.ebay.com/dD7Y7s

http://www.autotoolworld.com/product.asp?itemid=127137&gclid=CLue1Inr-sgCFQeNaQodJBwJKg

http://www.autotoolworld.com/product.asp?itemid=127153&gclid=CL_m0cTr-sgCFYQ8aQod1OUCQQ

Holy cow they worked. I own this exact holding fixture. I didn't mention any other Trans specific tools. I assumed you had looked at them already.

I was rebuilding a 4t65e. I ended up getting this because the auction listed it specifically for my transmission ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262116475325?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

... that bitch didn't fit a single clutch spring in the entire transmission. I ended up using my 20-ton press as a holding fixture for all the springs.

I see lots of other listings for the same tool saying the same transmission. All I can figure is that some catalog somewhere erroneously lists that and everyone is getting their listings from it. I even had my shop-mate come look at one of them with me and try to figure out how it would work to no avail???