• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Recommend a power steering cooler

Any damage to any thing or just switching to go cooler?
Burned out one PSC pump and I think the second one might have issues. At first the guy told me not run a cooler in the system as it causes too much restriction. After I put the second pump in I hooked the heat sink style cooler up since I already had it. The fluid runs hotter than hell even during easy wheeling like the snow. Was running Redline PS fluid now switching to Amsoil hydraulic fluid. Also the reservoir eventually pukes itself low after a few runs.

Sitting on dry pavement at 6psi in the tires I can't turn so I have another problem in the system somewhere.

no steering cooler to be found on my buggy and I'm just not comfortable with ATF being in the steering system. nobody I've spoken with recommends this and others flat out tell me to get it out as soon as possible. nonetheless, I want to keep the fluid cooler as it's getting hot, spilling out of the resevoir, pump groaning/whining, and becomes hard to steer.

I'm working with PSC to optimize the system layout. Not that it's completely ineffective but I think it can be improved.

ATF tranny fluid is hydraulic oil anyone tells you it cant be ran in a steering system is out of their mind, if it is so bad for it how was it great for a year and half for me in that system and never seen a single problem with any vehicle with ATF including hundreds that have come through our shop that the manufacturer recommends mercon. example 06 f-150 steering fluid is mercon. mercon is ATF if you dont know.

no offense Derrick but I'm just trying to understand why when companies who make steering systems and companies that build buggies with hydraulic steering systems tell me NOT to use ATF, I would keep running it? Honestly, I'm not an expert on fluids so admittedly I do have to rely on various sources of input (including yours)

maybe its because tehy only sell that fluid at psc, so nothing else is right.....or they get a kickback for all of it they sell. but what do i know, i only do this stuff everyday

ATF Vs. Hydraulic fluid. **** you could use water as "hydraulic" fluid :haha:

ATF is a lower viscosity oil and has more additives.

ever try to drive a hydrostatic powered rig when the temp is below freezing?

I was thinking about going to the Amsoils hydro tractor transmission fluid... or a more common brand eqivilant from the farm store.

I'm getting ready to power assist my Yota and it still has the factory tranny cooler installed. Since I no longer have an A/T I figured that would work great as a steering cooler once I flush it really good. Any problems you could think of?:corn:

maybe its because tehy only sell that fluid at psc, so nothing else is right.....or they get a kickback for all of it they sell. but what do i know, i only do this stuff everyday
Called them yesterday (psc)and talked coolers with them and told them I used GM ps fluid and they said that was a very good fluid also.

Latest posts