• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Recommendations of Auto Shifter

jimpaget

When I change tubs on my YJ, I will need to get an Automatic Shifter kit since the new tub and steering column were from a manual tranny. What do people recommend? Beyond recommending a particular make/model, please talk about your reasons for the recommendation.

I love the Art Carr/Winters style gate shifter. My biggest reason is I can't stand the lockouts on many of the popular sticks. My Art Carr has worked out really well so far and there are very few parts to wear out or get gummed up.

All I did was remove one gate so I can do 1st to Rev bombs.:awesomework:

What transmission? Both my rigs have TH400s, and my YJ uses a Kia Sephia shifter, which was remarkably easy to install. The cable and shifter both work really well, all I had to make was the actual dodad that hooks the transmission linkage to the Kia cable. On my TJ, I've got a Winters setup (same as Art Carr). It also works well, and looks great. Kia parts were free. Winters parts were not.

I went with a B&M Unimatic cable shifter so I could easily mount it where I wanted to, and I also liked the longer stick. No lockouts, or gates, so you really got to get a feel for it. I learned not to drive with my arm laying on the shifter after hitting a bump, and slamming it into reverse.

Also finding reverse in a hurry can be sketch, so I made a little indicator that the shifter would hit when I hit reverse. It works for me, but that is definitely a down side..

I've installed a couple b&m mega and ratchet shifters. I personally don't like nor recommend them. Can be tricky to find gears and the overall feel isn't right to me.

im useing a cherokee shifter that i ground down so i can hit reverse from drive in a flash.had to modify the linkage a bit but works well in skecth situations, and there all over the yard