• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Reinforcing frame rail extension and beefing up hitch on MH

olywa

Got a '84 Winnebago Chieftain 27' Class A that I need to beef up the extensions on......

So the extensions are 5' long butt welded to the frame the channel appears to be the same metal just the webbing is a little smaller on the extensions.......

So the rv shop quoted me 750 dollars to beef it up to a 7,000 lb capacity in the quote was fish plating the frame and making a ladder bar to the extension with a cross brace and a new hitch :masturbanana[1]:

So how long should the fish plates be....1/4" plate work......how much would the plates have to overlap on to the frame ....... material for the ladder bars.....

Possible to run 2" box tube all the way back from the splice to the receiver...... what kinda overlap on the tubing to the real frame....

anyone that has done this have any good ideas or pics of what you did would be a great help......

I did something similar on mine as well as adding a drawbar extension back to a beefy xmember on the frame to take the pull. all made out of 1/2" material. I try and keep my tounge weight low about 300 #. I also use torsion bars to help balance the load. Put several thousand miles miles on it like this with no issues.