• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Reiter- for those who give a rip.

In the case of Reiter the birds aren't there, never were that anyone knows of. From what I understand they're setting aside land for them in the future. They must be thinking of reintroducing them at some point?...My point is right now the critters aren't there so maybe we still have a chance to change the direction of things.....Also why can't the owls and murrelets use the same land? It sounds to me like they're saving separate areas for each species.......much more reading to do.

I'm sure the state is required to save a predetermined area of land that meets a certain criteria so lets find some other land that fits the bill and put them there.:awesomework: Then all we have to do is make Japerry stay out of it by putting up a gate!:flipoff:

Good luck with that! :fawkdancesmiley: :haha:

From the SEPA.
DNR plans to develop a long-term murrelet strategy for the North Puget Planning Unit, which includes the proposal area. In the interim the DNR has identified the suitable habitat in the planning unit and continues to screen for suitable habitat as activities are planned, and protects all known suitable habitat. There are known areas of suitable marbled murrelet habitat in the planning area. Some of this habitat may be surveyed in order to determine presence or occupancy of marbled murrelets as DNR continues to develop a long term strategy. There are no known occupied marbled murrelet sites within the proposal area at present.

Most of Reiter Foothills Forest is designated for management as nesting/roosting/foraging (NRF) habitat. Within the NRF area, there are two northern spotted owl nest patches associated with Reiter Foothills Forest. There is a

http://www.dnr.wa.gov/ResearchScience/Topics/TrustLandsHCP/Pages/trust_lands_hcp_report.aspx

NRF Habitat is what DNR called the area to the east of Area #7.

http://www.dnr.wa.gov/Search/Results.aspx?k=reiter%20committee
These are pretty good reading as well for those who want to see how we got to were we are right now. IMO, we lost Reiter the minute DNR caved in to the Enviro-Hiker groups and reformed the Committee to have several of them on it. That is when the focus shifted from being a committee to study making Reiter an "official ORV park" to being one that got railroaded into studying damage and limiting our uses while the Hikers claim yet more area.

This now has us screwed at Tahuya/Green Mtn and I'm sure it wont stop there. DNR has grant money to do a planning process like they did at Reiter.

b. List any threatened or endangered species known to be on or near the site.
Chinook Salmon (threatened at federal level, depressed at state level)
Steehead Salmon (threatened at federal level, depressed at state level)
Bull Trout (threatened at federal level)
In addition, likely to be found are:
Spotted Owl (threatened at federal level, endangered at state level)
Marbled Murrelet (threatened at federal level)

:rolleyes:

It really does make one want to go hunt these "protected species"... I wonder just how well protected they are? :FIREdevil:

This protected?

Attachments

• Hummingbird-Armor--56679.jpg
    Hummingbird-Armor--56679.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 143
It's just a game that the FS uses, Spotted Owls have been found nesting in barns and second growth, they just use it as a political tool to shut down everything they "deem" as environmentally harmful, it's the joy of living in a hippie infested state. We went through this in the late 80s in the logging industry.

We went through this in the late 80s in the logging industry.

There is no doubt that this is f'ed up but the logging industries issues were self-inflicted and nothing like the horseshit with the marbled murrelet. The owl may have been what everyone saw as the problem but problems were much more involved than just that damn owl.

There is no doubt that this is f'ed up but the logging industries issues were self-inflicted and nothing like the horseshit with the marbled murrelet. The owl may have been what everyone saw as the problem but problems were much more involved than just that damn owl.

Yeah, because cutting down trees is just plain wrong :haha:

Nope, not it at all. Most of the logging companies (mainly low buck Gypo loggers) were only interested in old growth. Younger trees had no interest to them despite that fact that if they were allowed to cut ALL of the remaining old growth, it would only last a few years (less than 10) before it was gone too. The big companies (like Weyco) had already geared up for the smaller logs but the independant forest industry didn't want to invest in the proper machinery. Like most things, it was all about MONEY.

BTW- When this was a big issue, I was selling forest products. We were getting the story from all sides back then.

Last edited:
Nope, not it at all. Main of the logging companies (mainly low buck Gypo loggers) were only interested in old growth. Younger trees had no interest to them despite that fact that if they were allowed to cut ALL of the remaining old growth, it would only last a few years (less than 10) before it was gone too. The big companies (like Weyco) had already geared up for the smaller logs but the independant forest industry didn't want to invest in the proper machinery. Like most things, it was all about MONEY.

BTW- When this was a big issue, I was selling forest products. We were getting the story from all sides back then.

Well I was logging in Eastern Wa, where Old Growth is just a myth, and the DNR and FS Reps told us it was all political, and that the biology reports on that side of the state showed owls living in barns and second growth, the thing is that all of these birds will adapt and find new places to nest, it all boils down to politics.

It is the same idiotic management as with the Salmon, we spend countless amounts of money trying to mitigate an issue such as runoff, when in fact it is only a tiny percentage of the problem, we all know the Salmon population is suffering because the Indians are allowed to set up gill nets across the mouths of the rivers and net as many fish as they want, over fishing is 95% of the problem, but we cant do jack about it, so we over manage the 5% that has almost no impact whatsoever.

We heard mostly west side crap. The stories about the lumber companies and the Japanese are epic. Remember all the logs we sent to Japan??

EVERYONE knows that a good rain storm, even in totally unmolested lands, dumps more silt in the rivers than all other causes combined. Funny, the politicians seem to ignore this fact.

I remember the 'Can Judge Bolte' bumper sticker and they're still valid today.:looser:

We heard mostly west side crap. The stories about the lumber companies and the Japanese are epic. Remember all the logs we sent to Japan??

EVERYONE knows that a good rain storm, even in totally unmolested lands, dumps more silt in the rivers than all other causes combined. Funny, the politicians seem to ignore this fact.

I remember the 'Can Judge Bolte' bumper sticker and they're still valid today.:looser:

yaahh.. come monday, look at bellingham Bay. It will look brown from all the silt run off in the nooksack.

yaahh.. come monday, look at bellingham Bay. It will look brown from all the silt run off in the nooksack.

And some of that is caused from ground open to rainfall because it doesn't have a canopy to protect it anymore.

But, some of its caused from the silt running out of the melting glaciers, or open pit mining.

It's all relative, we cannot change what mother nature does, but we can change what humans do, we can manage how we cut our timber, or expand our suburbs. To say that human impact doesn't effect siltation is simply ignorant.

But, to say that wheeling is a major contributor to siltation is also VERY ignorant.