• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Reiter Updates: Winter/Spring 2011

Money Mark

This is a continuation of this thread: http://nw-wheelers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54120

Next on the list; taken from the Jan. 20, 2011 Reiter Foothills Forest Update News Letter:

Focus Group Meeting - January 26

Topics for discussion will include:

Update on the county permitting process for the proposed motorized trail system.
Presentation and further discussion about the 4x4 trail specifications and select US Forest Service trail design parameters.
Our applications for Nonhighway and Off-road Vehicle Activities (NOVA) grant funding.
Update on the State Environmental Policy Act (SEPA) review of the proposed motorized trail plan.

Focus group meetings are from 7 to 9 p.m. every third Thursday in the East Public Meeting Room in the Snohomish County Building, 3000 Rockefeller Ave., Everett.

Reminder: Deadline to comment on motorized trail plan - Jan. 31
You still have time to provide your comments on the motorized trail plan through the State Environmental Policy Act (SEPA) review process. The deadline for comments is January 31.

Work parties suspended pending permits

Work parties are temporarily canceled until we develop work plans and obtain permits. We'll keep you posted when work parties resume. In the meantime, if you are interested in non-motorized trail planning and would like to help, please contact David Way at 360-854-2830.

Progress Report

We have hired a consultant to map the boundaries of Reiter Pond--an important step in evaluating habitat functions and values that exist in relation to the proposed 4x4 trails in the area.

DNR staff have been working on NOVA grant applications for both the proposed motorized and non-motorized trail systems.

DNR staff have been working on non-motorized trail planning. Currently, staff has about 10 miles of preliminary trail locations identified. This includes old road and existing railroad grades in the vicinity, scenic viewpoints, and other exciting trail opportunities.

NOVA grant applications - We need your help!

DNR is applying for two NOVA grants for the Reiter Foothills area. We need letters of support by February 25. If you choose to submit a letter of support for either of the following projects, please remember to include the Project Number and Project Title in your letter. The most effective letters explain why these projects are important to you.

#11-1019 Reiter Foothills Motorized Development. This grant could fund much of Phase 1 construction and acquisition of the proposed motorized trail system. Acquisition would include leases for temporary parking, future challenge areas, and the formal trailhead.

#11-1020 Reiter Non-Motorized Development. This grant could fund the architecture and engineering costs, as well as development costs, of constructing a bridge over Wallace River. This would greatly expand non-motorized trail opportunities in conjunction with Wallace Falls State Park.

Please submit your letters to David Way. If you have any more questions about the details of these grants, contact David at 360-854-2830 or [email protected].

Last edited:
I really have to ask. Are the work parties suspended for permits or to keep us off Rieter rd during the "road construction" that I have read and seen is going on?:corn:

Here is a link to prove it is closed http://www1.co.snohomish.wa.us/Departments/Public_Works/Services/Roads/roadsupdate.htm

I am just searching for info. Please don't think I am totally **** stirring, but I DO NOT trust the DNR on Rieter foothills planning.:mad:

Reiter Rd, from Index city limits to May Creek Rd (Gold Bar/Index area)
A FULL ROAD CLOSURE will be in effect until 5pm, Jan 31. Snohomish Road Maintenance Crews are repairing the slope and cleaning up slides.
(Thomas Guide p. 463-B6 - 462-B2)#362-10MGA

This is a continuation of this thread: http://nw-wheelers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54120

Next on the list; taken from the Jan. 20, 2011 Reiter Foothills Forest Update News Letter:

Focus Group Meeting - January 26

Topics for discussion will include:

Update on the county permitting process for the proposed motorized trail system.
Presentation and further discussion about the 4x4 trail specifications and select US Forest Service trail design parameters.
Our applications for Nonhighway and Off-road Vehicle Activities (NOVA) grant funding.
Update on the State Environmental Policy Act (SEPA) review of the proposed motorized trail plan.

Focus group meetings are from 7 to 9 p.m. every third Thursday in the East Public Meeting Room in the Snohomish County Building, 3000 Rockefeller Ave., Everett.

Money, January 26th is the 4th Wed of January and yesterday January 20th was the third Thrusday for January.

Who screwed up, you? Or DNR? :haha:

Typical meeting....with a twist. It is, what appears to me, to be a definitive date and time to re-evaluate Reiter from a user standpoint. If by July 1st, 2011 the DNR Recreation does not receive necessary grants from the State of Washington and the Federal Government and some kind of fee based parking pass concept (i.e.Explore Washington Pass) passed through legislature; the restoration and construction of New Reiter is dead in the water for an unknown amount of time. This is not my opinion, this is fact.

The countdown begins.......Now.

Last edited:
That doesnt seem very good

It could go either way. I'd say our chances are 50/50. And while my involvement with Reiter will continue to be as aggressive as it has been; July 1st may be a day of change for all of us.

If it's dead......it's time to move on. If it's a go.......satisfaction will be a process.

That doesnt seem very good

Really things are not very good. If the grants which have been applied for do not get funded from the state budget then Reiter is done......Things are really no different than they have been all along. The cards are very much stacked against the new Reiter ever becomming a reality.
It's not over yet but it doesn't look good.:booo:

Oh...and a side note I just remembered from the meeting. The group of DNR employed workers that would be completing the Restoration work and building and maintaining the trails at New Reiter are called a "WCC Crew".

...FWIW

Last edited:
Oh...and a side note I just remembered from the meeting. The group of DNR employed workers that would be completing the Restoration work and building and maintaining the trails at New Reiter are called a "WCC Crew".

...FWIW

The WCC crew also works up at Walker. its the Washington Conservation Corps.

http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/sea/wcc/index.html

For walker, they've always been supplemental to the volunteer effort. But I've heard many times for Reiter that volunteers wouldn't be used that much for actual construction.

The WCC crew also works up at Walker. its the Washington Conservation Corps.

http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/sea/wcc/index.html

For walker, they've always been supplemental to the volunteer effort. But I've heard many times for Reiter that volunteers wouldn't be used that much for actual construction.[/QUOTE]

This is undecided at this time and VOLUNTEERS will have there part on the trails

Really things are not very good. If the grants which have been applied for do not get funded from the state budget then Reiter is done......Things are really no different than they have been all along. The cards are very much stacked against the new Reiter ever becomming a reality.
It's not over yet but it doesn't look good.:booo:

All grants aside, if there is no money (one way or another) in the DNR's budget for E&E in the 2011-2013 biennium, for Reiter or close enough to Reiter to count. It's a done deal.

Same risk Tahuya, Sadie, Elbe, etc. faces.

The state is facing a 6.3% budget cut this next cycle. That is NOT going to be pretty.

Typical meeting....with a twist. It is, what appears to me, to be a definitive date and time to re-evaluate Reiter from a user standpoint. If by July 1st, 2011 the DNR Recreation does not receive necessary grants from the State of Washington and the Federal Government and some kind of fee based parking pass concept (i.e.Explore Washington Pass) passed through legislature; the restoration and construction of New Reiter is dead in the water for an unknown amount of time. This is not my opinion, this is fact.

The countdown begins.......Now.

The bad part is this is just what I thought would come of this:booo:

Are there meeting minutes posted yet? and where? Or do they not want/do this?

.....there is no money (one way or another) in the DNR's budget for E&E.......

There would be if we could change the rules of ticketing and enforcement:awesomework:

First) they need to give out enough tickets to pay there wage. This should be conducted just like any job out there i.e. they should make there employer money.

Second) the tickets need to go back to the organization that wrote the ticket. It is well known the tickets just go into the general fund.

Third) change the foggy rules so the tickets will hold up in court and start charging more for violations.

And by E&E I hope you mean Enforcement and Education and not something else?

First) they need to give out enough tickets to pay there wage. This should be conducted just like any job out there i.e. they should make there employer money.

I think this part would be risky. What happens when one day the LEO can't find enough violators to write tickets? His job is on the line so what do you think is going to happen?

There would be if we could change the rules of ticketing and enforcement:awesomework:

Second) the tickets need to go back to the organization that wrote the ticket. It is well known the tickets just go into the general fund.

Third) change the foggy rules so the tickets will hold up in court and start charging more for violations.

And by E&E I hope you mean Enforcement and Education and not something else?

:rolleyes:You have GOT! to be kidding me.

You (and many others) have been outspoken and adamantly opposed to the ideals of this post; and now you are proposing it for a solution to the E&E funding problem. :wtf:

Explain in further detail, your position.....please.:corn: