• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Reloaders

Depends on how nice of a press you want and what you are reloading. For a decent press, die, and miscellaneous items you will be looking at least $150 or so. If you are just wanting to reload something that is fairly cheap to shoot likee 9mm, you have to shoot A LOT to justify the expense. If you are reloading rifle cartridges or more expensive hand gun cartridges it pays for itself a little quicker.

I bought a cheap lee single stage press, and one set of dies to get started.. Probably 150-200$ to get your foot in the door,

But I've got my .45 rounds down to .16 cents a round.. Vs .60 cents at the store
Depending on how much you shoot will depend on how quickly you recover money

For me it's not ALL about the money, I like the fact that I can tailor the loads to MY weapons

I load/reload for all 3 of my rifles (.243, .308, and .300wm). All are loaded for long range precision which makes the development and loading process very invalved. It can easily get expensive just like everying else we do so saying what it cost is like saying you can build a buggy for $2000. Yes you can, but you wont once you get into the sport. I dont really reload for the cost I reload cause I can split hairs and make very precision rounds that are consistant from shot to shot for my rifles. If you want to load a high valume I would look into a progresive machine like a Dillon 550 or something. A single stage press for something you shoot a lot is crazy. I take all my 9mm brass to my buddies house and use his D550 to churn out a few thousand rounds in a weekend.

Oh and have fun finding powder these days. :awesomework:

Pretty much what Mav said.

I reload 9mm, .40S&W, .45ACP, bulk 5.56, and precision .308 all on a Dillon 550.

I'd recommend a progressive like a Dillon or even Hornady for handgun based on volume but the cost will much higher than a single stage. But the rounds per hour you can crank out on a progressive is crazy.

On my 550 I can typically do a hundred rounds, if everything is set up and ready to go, during the average commercial break on TV.

I would really recommend a rcbs rock chucker kit to get started. I load my 30.06 on a single stage press (rcbs rock chucker) I weigh each powder charge and really take my time with that rifle.

I load .45acp and .223 on a Dillon 550b. It's a progressive press so you have 4 stations, each pull of the handle completes a round. I load anywhere from 5,000-15,000 45 rounds a year. I shoot lead and plated bullets to keep cost down. I can crank out 400-500 rounds an hour on the Dillon.

My .45 rounds cost about 14cents a round (not including brass), they shoot better and cleaner than any factory amo.
.223 cost about 35cents a piece, will consistently shoot nickel size groups at 100 yards. Better if I do my part.

You can get started on an rcbs for around $300 or so without any consumable (powder, primers, bullets). With the 2 set ups on the Dillon it's probably around $1000, I can switch over and be loading a different caliber in about 10 minutes.

Start on a single stage press and learn each step, take your time and have fun. When you start shooting a lot and know what each step is doing step up to a progressive press. I have shot about 1300 .45 rounds on the last month and probably 100 .223 rounds. I would still be loading if I was on a single stage press.

I load rifle ammo, mostly .223 and 300BLK with a single stage Rock Chucker. I don't mind the time it takes to do a couple thousand because I enjoy it. I shoot enough to make it worth doing, but .223 is more of a quality issue than cost. I've never fired a factory round yet in my 300BLK. It's a fun rifle for handloading because I run a wide variety of super and sub loads through it.
If you are making a shopping list, you'll need a chronograph. I use an F1 Shooting Chrony and it's good enough for me.