• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

relocating spring hangers.

oldbeercans

so im putting dakota springs in my truck and need to relocate the front sring hangers. can somebody give me a fairly detailed run down on how i need to go about doing it....RIGHT. :D i only want to do it once and want it to work right so can anyone help me out? do i want the springs on the axle when locating and do i want the weight of the truck on the springs and about what angle should my shackles be at.:awesomework: thanks for the help. im pre much kinda new.:eeek:

i checked your build thread... you have the stock mounts. i suggest just buying/building a new spring hanger and moving it where you need it. i assume these springs will move your axle forward? it's really easy, this way. itll give you a bit more lift in the front which may be undesired, but theyre burly 1/4" and can be moved pretty far forward. what are your intentions?

the way the spring is set up it will move my axle back a few inches which is great. my hangers will be here wed. i am fully aware that the stock spring hanger wont work as the dakota springs are about 8 inches longer than stock toy rears. just need to know how i need to go about finding were to weld the new hanger on. as far as if i should have the weight of the truck on the springs and axle and set my shackle angle then mark the center of the front eyelet should be. but im not sure what angle the shackle sould be at or if i need the weight of the truck on it to find out were to put the hanger. should i set the angle of the shackle then mark center of the front eyelet with no weight on the springs or what. im kind lost right now. like i said im pre much new at this kind of thing.

the way the spring is set up it will move my axle back a few inches which is great. my hangers will be here wed. i am fully aware that the stock spring hanger wont work as the dakota springs are about 8 inches longer than stock toy rears. just need to know how i need to go about finding were to weld the new hanger on. as far as if i should have the weight of the truck on the springs and axle and set my shackle angle then mark the center of the front eyelet should be. but im not sure what angle the shackle sould be at or if i need the weight of the truck on it to find out were to put the hanger. should i set the angle of the shackle then mark center of the front eyelet with no weight on the springs or what. im kind lost right now. like i said im pre much new at this kind of thing.

hmmmm have you seen any other buildups with utilizing this spring? it would help to know how much it compresses under the weight of the truck. find out where you'd like to have your rear axle located. tack the spring hangers farther forward on the frame by perhaps 6 inches. TACK THEM, in case you want to adjust things if they arent right. make sure theyre nice sturdy tacks, though, strong enough to hold up the weight of the vehicle. then bolt up the springs, axle, etc, and have a 4"x4" woodblock or something across the back of the frame roughly in front of where the shackles would be, as if it were a crossmember, and put the springs under the wood, so the wood supports the springs. let the truck sit on its own weight, and see where the center pin ligns up, and if thats where you want your axle to be. from there you can see where you'd want your rear shackle placed. just an idea. i've seen people ubolt the rear of the spring to the frame as well, and lower it onto its own weight to guage how the spring sits under the weight of the truck.

a little equation to use for good hanger to shackle placement is this:

[length eye to eye of spring at flat compression - length of shackle eye to eye] + 1/2"

...this makes sense, as the 1/2" would have the shackle laying at a rather acute angle, but not flat against the frame during full compression.

if you can find someone else who has used this spring, check out what theyve done. dont fully weld it until youve rested the weight of the vehicle on the springs. ive learned that one the hard way before.

Measure from the center pin to the center of the front eyelet along the arch of the spring and put the hanger roughly 3/4" (if the springs have good arch to them. If they are kind of flat don't go so far forward) That will get the axle where you want it, you can always drill the perches or make the hanger with longer plates so you can move the axle forward or back if needed.

For the shackle jsut put the springs and hanger in, bolt the axle to the springs then put a 2x4 between the spring and frame and let the weight of the rig down on it. That will tell ya where it'll end up with a shackle in there so mark the frame sleeve location accordingly. ;)