• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Reusing rear diff Pinion bearings?

Boonie Buster

Stuck on a Curb
*Flame suit on*

If doing a rear-end gear change and your bearings are maybe 5-10,000 miles old is it ok or frowned upon to reuse them? I was planning to just reuse the ones on the carrier again (provided they look fine) since I'm not change that portion other than the ring gear. Or is there a place that sells jsut the pinion rebuilt kit for less than a whole install kit? I've found it only changes the price by $40-50, not really worth spending less...:mad:

Yes reuse them. If they're good quality bearings and in good shape there's no reason to replace them. Make sure and keep races and bearings together. :awesomework:

Inspect and reuse.

I do this all the time. Most toyota guys dont even want to buy a pinion seal if they could get out of it.

There is no reason to replace a good bearing if it shows no signs of damage or bad wear.

Allot of the time the "new" replacement bearing is inferior quality to the old good ones if they are usable.

Use you noodle and dont worry about what the worriers/web thinks.

Ok, Ya it had a limited slip put in with the stock gears put back on and new bearings before i got it. I was planning to just get the mini-install with the regular shims/crush sleeve and nut, but wasnt sure about reusing those beaings, normally the diff is pretty hashed, so i usually get a full rebuild. :redneck:

Thanks guys. :awesomework:

(I'll try not to overthink it choppy! :fawkdancesmiley:)

when setting up used bearings you don't add a bunch of pre-load or you risk smoking the bearings....unlike a new instal the pinion should spin nicely without a bunch of resistance....

when setting up used bearings you don't add a bunch of pre-load or you risk smoking the bearings....unlike a new instal the pinion should spin nicely without a bunch of resistance....

this

i belive that randies set up guide tells you what preload using, used parts.