• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Reverse drop center wheels into beadlocks?

dove'd85

So I made the mistake of buying a set of 17" wheels with beadlock rings already on them. Guy said he was keeping the outers because they had his company logo on them. Well I went to mount um up. And as some may no it's damn near impossible...

I made this mistake years ago and took them to trail ready and they were able to machine the face off the front of the wheel and install my rings. I am wondering if anyone has any first hand experience with this. I have access to a lathe I am just unsure how much of the face to machine off an inch half inch... Any insight is greatly appreciated.

James

Sorry James that I don't recall the details of what I did to your last set. That was thousands of wheels ago and at least a couple concusions:redface:

This might help though.......When I beadlock the back bead of a wheel,making a dual beadlock....I machine the inner lip,that the bead is pinched up against down to .3125 in height. This is done to allow the bead to be stretched from the dropwell OVER the little lip and onto the outside of said lip. Even with the lip trimmed down to .3125 (5/16) it is still a BITCH with most tires.

.3125 is all that is required,once the bead is pinched with the clamp ring,to make a seal and secure the bead into place. I don't know how many sets I've built that way,ALOT, and have never heard of a bead jumping the lip towards the center of the wheel.

Hope that helps:beer:

Thanks for chiming in on this Jeff! That does make sence to an extent. I would still like to run a wheel up to you like we had talked about. I only want to have to do this once lol. I guess this would be the second timing dealing with this:mad:

Feel free to run one up James.......once I see one, [It] may come rushing back to me. I problem solve every day(who doesn't?)...tomorrow I'm building custom rear wheels for a sand car with a bajillion RWHP and paddles....better not stay up too late:D