• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

ride height and wheel base for 40" tires ?

chef717

due to temporary .... ok permanent ... insanity, I took a sawzaw to my scrambler and I'm ready to start rebuilding. I have heard that a 112-114 is optimal wheel base for 40" tires. I have my ride height set at 22" to the bottom of the frame. any thoughts before I proceed ?

Re:

Put it back together ???

Wheel base helps and hurts in different situations. I have a truggy at 130, that walked a few trails my buddy struggled with @114. I also make sixteen point turns all the time. A few weeks ago, his wheel base spanked mine on a different trail. Similar driving styles and rigs.

I prefer around 115, but is it optimal? I'd say more of a preference. Same for belly height. I prefer right @20 or just below. Though the truggy is @23 inches.

Kel Lawrence

I was at 102 and had some problems on some of the verticals at the top of hills. I really just wanted to add some wheel base... and of course got a little carried away... no more scrambler...

of course in hind sight I SHOULD HAVE SOLD MY SCRAMBLER AND BOUGHT A BUGGY OFF HERE !!! LOL but I'm here now !

110" WB/17" belly on 39s

Yes it does turtle shell in the big rocks, but it is stupid stable off camber. I would rather build it too low and raise the belly than build it too high and have to rework everything to lower it. Personal preference, but it works for what I like.

116" wb and 19" belly on 42s

it works really well even though I need more seat time to drive it better.

e752732eb394ae7bd11f1018aee9585f.jpg

That Clayton? I have always liked that rig when I saw u swap for it on Pirate. I'm with you on build em low and keep em stable.

2b118d02f464e51a5639a662fbb01d2e.jpg

107" WB and 18" (ish) belly on 40's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

haustow said:
I think you need a Snickers bar. :rolf:
have you seen my rig Justin ? I COULD USE A CASE OF SNICKERS BARS ! :Joc:
you fellas have some SWEET buggys !!

355502872905fb9fb8bd5091c5eb768d.jpg

304a7d1254a1ae6e214cf8ea7b55c6cd.jpg

26094c7bde7c787a336e947cea6c6253.jpg

All 3 are 109" and 19". I think it is perfect for a 39" tire.

2010 Jim's Garage 4429
2012 Jim's Garage YJ
2013 Wide Open Design WFO

Ive built these jeeps and have never worried about the belly height. I set the axles with the tires under the body and then set it so I can have 6" of up travel before hitting the body. With a stock frame you will end up with 3-4" of up travel before you hit it so I always cut it and rebuild it tight to the body.

TJ
113" Wheelbase on 42's, 5" up travel front and 6" rear. Has no frame modifications (could have set lower)

YJ
116" Wheelbase on 43's, 6' up travel front and rear, frame raised front and rear

CJ
116" Wheelbase on 42's, 6' up travel front 7' rear, frame raised front and rear (had fenders put on later)

JDodd said:
Ive built these jeeps and have never worried about the belly height. I set the axles with the tires under the body and then set it so I can have 6" of up travel before hitting the body. With a stock frame you will end up with 3-4" of up travel before you hit it so I always cut it and rebuild it tight to the body.

TJ
113" Wheelbase on 42's, 5" up travel front and 6" rear. Has no frame modifications (could have set lower)

YJ
116" Wheelbase on 43's, 6' up travel front and rear, frame raised front and rear

CJ
116" Wheelbase on 42's, 6' up travel front 7' rear, frame raised front and rear (had fenders put on later)
even though you didn't consider ride height your rigs all look to be in the low 20's at their lowest point. front and back halfing my heep and decided to go 16 ori's up front and 18's in the rear. I shortened my tub and plan on dipping and cutting the hood to accommodate front up travel...the frame you see in the rear will be removed just under the tub. I left it to keep what's left of the stock frame square...