• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Ring and pinion setup help...?

FireballXL5

Picked up some gears and a spartan... Don't have enough knowledge/or confidence in my abilities to set these up 'right'... Anyone available to help out?

I got the Yukon 5.29's and master install kits... Front and rear... Spartan locker for the front, and new front inner axle seals and wiper kit... Front diff armor, front axle truss, rear axle shock perches, and new brake bleeder screws all around... Now... To see if I can get this all installed before the weekend... Or, just do the minimum, get through the weekend, and plan to upgrade it all later/after...

Is having the gears 'cryo'd' worth it? Should I look into that or just get em in...

Properly set up gears are what last. Forget that cryo nonsense. Besides your rig weighs as much as a lump of cheese. Ohhh...but can't help ya with the gear install...I sib it out too. :awesomework:

Wonder if I should call randys ring and pinion... Any other options as good or better?

I could probly slap the Spartan in for now while I'm doing the front inner axle seals and hold off on the gears for this weekend... Hope 5.29's aren't too steep of a gear considering I'm already 6.5:1 in my t-case... Should be AWESOME!!!

Last edited:
Or too low lol. My old 4-1 tcase sucked with 5.38 gears...and I have a big 4.0L. Running trials in 4th gear was stupid...:haha:

Yea... Crawlin with my 1.3L engine will be perfect... Wheel speed for hill climbs... Not so much! Lol. I figured it would be the best for some of our type of wheeling... As it is, I have a hard time keeping up driving the logging roads uphill etc in 2wd... Not enough motor... I just didn't want to go halfway and wish I had gone bigger... Still have the option of returning... Haven't opened anything yet... But the Spartan will stay...

I went from 3.73:1 with 33's on the sammi lock rite axles... To 4.10:1 on 36's with welded rear and open front... The Spartan will help me out in the front... Just wondering if gears like 5.29's will make my rig awesome or waaaay too geared for what we do..

4:88's are what I run, with 6.0:1 Case gears...and a 1.3L...Works pretty darn good....except on hills in hi range...but you can't fix that with just gears...the motor is the weak point at that point...5:29's will be better, but marginally weaker compared to 4:88...I wouldn't worry about it as a LOT of folks run 5:29's, and properly set up will provide good service...
Don't forget to get rid of the crush sleeves, go crush sleeve eliminators...I could do them, but won't be avail till a couple weeks from this weekend.

Yea, I'm going to hold off for THIS weekend... I've been wrenching non stop since Saturday night when I bought the donor sammi... And I'm almost ready to run trails... Unless of course I rip apart axles to replace seals, knuckle wipers, and add the locker up front...

But, that's a fair amount of work... I don't want to run into any unforeseen issues... and I'd hate to miss the birthday bash because of it. So... Looks like I might run with an open front diff and welded rear... Looking for tire scrub and figuring out where or if I need to clearance anything...

Work so far since Saturday:
Swapped the yota axles under my rig... I didn't like the ride height so went back and swapped all 4 springs back to my originals.
Got my drivelines in using toy-sammi adapters and misc spacers.
Swapped my leaking Celica power steering box for a Yota power box... Had to relocate further up the frame to get the high steer geometry right.
Added a 3" lift block to the rear and a 1" block to the front to help with tub and body clearances.
Running the 36" yota tires.
all the brake bleeders.
Hooked up my e-brake to the yota arms.
Relocated my winch solenoids so they'd stop shorting out my large power wire by pinching against the case.
Still gotta bleed the brakes and replace all 4 bleeders.
Still gotta weld rear axle shock brackets.
Gotta replace the passenger door handle.
Still gotta add a bit of duct tape, bailing wire, and zip ties to misc things.
Bent my hi-lift Jack bar back to straight(works just as good as before!).

Been a busy/frantic time trying to get all this done, and working with dirty/rusted hardware etc... I'm close... And should be better than before! Only the trails will tell!

It's a temporary solution until I find out if I need to cut up the body for clearance issues, or respring the leafs all the way around... Basically, just to make sure I didn't slash the sh!t outta my tires this weekend... Mines a budget wheeler, and I learn as I go... And make do with what I can, depending on time, experience, and $$...

It's a temporary solution until I find out if I need to cut up the body for clearance issues, or respring the leafs all the way around... Basically, just to make sure I didn't slash the sh!t outta my tires this weekend... Mines a budget wheeler, and I learn as I go... And make do with what I can, depending on time, experience, and $$...

:awesomework:

Decided to go ahead and do the inner axle seals, wiper seals, and Spartan locker... Tick tock, tick tock... ;-P

5B3EA26F-C977-4B4D-9032-4D4F5CC0138F.jpg

Got it all torn down now, axle and wiper seals installed/ready to wrap up... Just got the third member out, about to pull the bearings and ring to get at the carrier pin... Hopefully the weather holds out long enough for me tomorrow to wrap it all up! Doubt I can get it all finished tonight before work.