• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

ring gear help

dumpsterdriver

i recently had 488 gears installed in my dana 30, and when i brought it home i realized that the cross shaft cant be installed with the ring gear on. so if i take it off and put it back on in the same spot, will it mess up my newly installed gears?

Use marking compound and mark the pattern, measure the back lash.

When you take it apart do not mix up the shims or caps

You should be able to install it and not have problems just recheck the backlash and pattern. I don't remember the torque specs of the caps so you'll have to look that up.

Good luck

Shims on a 30 should all be behind the bearing (captured between the bearing and the carrier) so you shouldnt have any issues with removing the carrier taking off the ring gear and putting it all back together again. Curious though how did it get put back together and set up without the pin in :eeek:
Not that it should affect the set up just wondering how it was missed.

if i recall, only about 1/8" of a tooth interfeers, just grind the tip of the tooth off, its outside the contact patern and will in no way sacrifise strength...
its what they do @ randyland....

if i recall, only about 1/8" of a tooth interfeers, just grind the tip of the tooth off, its outside the contact patern and will in no way sacrifise strength...
its what they do @ randyland....

Sure. Mark the ring gear and put it all back together. It won't hurt to check the BL and pattern, but it really shouldn't affect much.

Be nice and easy to those gears. 4.88 is too much for a D30. Don't shock load them. Just be gentle and they will treat you well.

I put 4.88 gears in my D30 and didn't need to grind anything. When I put the 4.88 in the rear ford 8.8 I did have to grind a little off the inner tip of one gear tooth.
Did they replace the carrier housing? Going to 4.88 gears this is a must.

1) remove carrier
2) remove ring gear
3) install pinion shaft
4) reinstall ring gear on carrier
5) put carrier back in diff

What is so hard about that?

The shims should be pressed in between the bearings and carrier so you can't screw that up. The pinion depth is allready set. With the machining on your carrier you could put the ring gear back on whatever indexing you want, this won't make a difference unless you have a bad machined ring gear or a out of round carrier. Keep track of your bearing races if they are used i.e. matched wear race with bearing, don't mix up, if new this does not matter. Make sure to keep the proper bearing caps where they should go, there are enough articles about this on the web I wont go into detail. I think this covers it all.

If you pull carrier and shims fall on the ground go back to whoever set up the gears and demand your money back! Also any good diff gear man would not of left the pinion shaft out on a D30.

1) remove carrier
2) remove ring gear
3) install pinion shaft
4) reinstall ring gear on carrier
5) put carrier back in diff

What is so hard about that?

The shims should be pressed in between the bearings and carrier so you can't screw that up. The pinion depth is allready set. With the machining on your carrier you could put the ring gear back on whatever indexing you want, this won't make a difference unless you have a bad machined ring gear or a out of round carrier. Keep track of your bearing races if they are used i.e. matched wear race with bearing, don't mix up, if new this does not matter. Make sure to keep the proper bearing caps where they should go, there are enough articles about this on the web I wont go into detail. I think this covers it all.

If you pull carrier and shims fall on the ground go back to whoever set up the gears and demand your money back! Also any good diff gear man would not of left the pinion shaft out on a D30.

He will be fine..... :awesomework:

what shims?

I have had a couple of D30 diffs that whoever set them up used the pinion depth shims on the outside of the carrier bearings. The shims would work there if they were setup properly, but I do not recommend this nor would I set them up as this. The only 30 with shims on the outside should be an ARB.

wow i don't like that but kind of necessary when dealing with a c-clip axle cause if you put the pin back in then install it into the housing you can't put the c-clips back in
It's common practice, wont hurt anything. No idea why they attacked 3 teeth in that picture though, should only have to do 2 at most.. With a C-clip axle you can also use a notched cross-pin but it's a pain in the ass and they are weak.
On the 8.8 its neccessary....
With 4.56 and numerically higher gears.
Hears my 8.8 with 4.56s that I ground the tooth on.
crosspin.jpg

Latest posts