• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Rock Bouncer Flatty Build - Day Fabrication style

HEY WE MAKE THE BEST ROCKER ARMS IN THE WORLD FOR THESE ENGINE'S :dblthumb:

TURNEROFFROAD said:
Wow, where do I start? When this project first started a couple of years ago, I had on my mind to build a unique trail rig that was pretty well-rounded... And as most projects go, it got out of hand. When Heath (Xjpaddler) got involved with the build it changed direction 180 degrees from a Unimog axled boulder hoping ride to a Hopefully a Do EVERYTHING well rig ( time will tell LOL ) on custom sheetmetal housing Rockwells and a Varible turbocharged Buick series II 3800 V6. I'll post up some spec and pix hopefully tonight of the progress.

The Motor -Comp Cams, duration @ .050": 226º/218º, lobe lifts: .343"/.346", valve lifts with 1.60:1 rocker arms: .549"/.553", lobe separation angle: 116º, intake centerline: 110

Diamond Racing Forged pistons - stock bore and a compression ratio of 8.0 to 1

Full Roller valvetrain and ARP fasteners throughout

Cylinder heads -- 1.90 1.55 Manley valves, Titanium retainers and Bronze guides, 9 angle valve job and 130# valve springs, head porting to the MAX

Running 120# per/hr low impedance fuel injectors and injector driver module

Powdered Metal Connecting Rods and a Balanced Rotating assembly and ARP Everything

I'm running a 60mm compressor wheeled Turbo with a varible exhasut housing...

bdillon2372 said:
I think you may have already gotten this but its at 68 1/2" to very top, 22" belly pan clearance...

thanks Brandon, Im sure I had asked before. Just trying to gauge how this thing is gonna set. Hard to build low around a small giant ;D :****:

xjpaddler said:
thanks Brandon, Im sure I had asked before. Just trying to gauge how this thing is gonna set. Hard to build low around a small giant ;D :****:

from what I heard from Ty the other day, you are doing a really good job!! Heard what was estimated height and belly clearance, for a rockwell rig and a big tall dude....I don't think you could get much better!! Looks killer by the way Heath!

I assume you ment pauter rods, and how do you plan to control ythe variable exhaust housing... is that a stock super duty turbo...

draggbody said:
I assume you ment pauter rods, and how do you plan to control ythe variable exhaust housing... is that a stock super duty turbo...

Yes powered Rods have proven to be bombproof in high effort 3800's
The turbo is a Holset and I am using a adjustable waste-gate actuator to move the vgt. The turbo can be brought down to the point of an exhaust brake or WIDE OPEN. I plan to have an 'idle start point' of around 15-25% open ( we will see what it actually needs to spool instantly ). When the boost hits 4-5 psi the actuator will 'open' the turbo and it's game on

Since I started on this endeavor the vgt has been successfully used on these engines for streetable high-horse cars. The only real issue will the the test n tune to get it dialed in for what we do

The 60mm compressor wheel is also only good to about 830 horses, if I wanna tote the HEAVY Rockwells up them there hills as fast as the big boys I may have to machine the cover and go to a 64mm wheel so I can up the power and not be at 30psi to do it

I'm going to start at around 18-20psi which translate 625-640 horse

Ty Good talking to ya tonight on the phone, looks like you are going to hit the mark- diffrent direction than the norm and one nasty unit at the same time. nothing wrong with being the tech guy of the build,im i was impressed when i figured out wiring a relay :dblthumb:

crosseyed cat said:
Ty Good talking to ya tonight on the phone, looks like you are going to hit the mark- diffrent direction than the norm and one nasty unit at the same time. nothing wrong with being the tech guy of the build,im i was impressed when i figured out wiring a relay :dblthumb:

Thanks man!!!

Yeah I'm pretty excited about it coming together

Good to visit with you too!!!

Got some more done today, I really admire Fab Guys... It's a real talent

Strut hoops redesigned and the strut crossmember installed and the intercooler mounted. The exhaust is done in 4" and these pix are at ride height

dutu8u6y.jpg

ezate7a8.jpg

u9u9apyb.jpg

sume4ane.jpg

yqu5uzy8.jpg

mysybu3a.jpg

vy7adazy.jpg

2abydadu.jpg

u7y8u5up.jpg

7y5ysaha.jpg

cole at this point i wouldn't even through a date out there, i was really hopeing for hogwild, but i dont think its gonna happen, still a ton of work, and my real job will start picking up at the end of jan. got to get it done asap, ive got to build me another one. lol :****:

I had my original front 4 link designed like that and scrapped it because of the articulation issues it presented. On my rig anyway.

Two guys in my crew run that and I attempted to set mine up the same way. After mock up and swinging it around, I found it pukes out to the sides waaaay too much, so much so that it took out my shock/spring mounting window. it also rotated on an axis i.e. swing steer. My buddies do OK with it but they are running ~48" lower links and I'm running 36" - or was with it.

I changed it to somewhat straight outer uppers as before just brought the axle mounts in closer to center as much as possible (next to turd member) and from housing at knuckles to a V into x member under trans bell housing area. Swing test it works great, stays in it's own radius and does not puke out side to side.

I don't know but I would assume these guys tested for this on your rig.

Also, how did you bend the hood sides and is it steel or aluminum?

Skidkid said:
I had my original front 4 link designed like that and scrapped it because of the articulation issues it presented. On my rig anyway.

Two guys in my crew run that and I attempted to set mine up the same way. After mock up and swinging it around, I found it pukes out to the sides waaaay too much, so much so that it took out my shock/spring mounting window. it also rotated on an axis i.e. swing steer. My buddies do OK with it but they are running ~48" lower links and I'm running 36" - or was with it.

I changed it to somewhat straight outer uppers as before just brought the axle mounts in closer to center as much as possible (next to turd member) and from housing at knuckles to a V into x member under trans bell housing area. Swing test it works great, stays in it's own radius and does not puke out side to side.

I don't know but I would assume these guys tested for this on your rig.

there will be a little bir of flex steer, but its not to bad. there will also be a center limiting strap that helps keep it under control.

Also, how did you bend the hood sides and is it steel or aluminum?

the hood is .080 alum. and was bent by hand with a big piece of pipe or 2. lol

That's gotta be freaking tough to do :eek:

I was thinking on my flatty build to use aluminum as well. But on the rolled sides of the hood I thought of getting an Aluminum tube same wall thickness and cutting it in four quarters length wise using a table saw. Then have my buddy aluminum weld the 1/4 round to the flat top and a little drop sides as well. I'm going to give it a shot anyway. ;D