• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Rock bouncer front axle beef???

Who made them? A ballpark price would be cool for others that might be interested in the future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Re: Rock bouncer front axle beef???

EsPowell said:
Who made them? A ballpark price would be cool for others that might be interested in the future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They are EOR "Penn Axle" outers.

don't have a problem with 3.5 tube do have a problem with the sleeves its not safe but its your problem not mine

traveler said:
don't have a problem with 3.5 tube do have a problem with the sleeves its not safe but its your problem not mine
Just curious what running a sleeve/bushing would hurt? The inner c will be welded inside and out I assume? As long as the sleeve and actual knuckle are welded to the tube how would it be different than machined to size?

My guess is Traveler is thinking that the chances of the inner C spinning on the sleeve is greater because theres a decent chance that the sleeve will have a better weld attaching it to the axle tube. Like the root pass is only going from the tube to the sleeve, and the subsequent filler passes are the only thing going to the actual inner C material. I would lean towards agreeing with him, BUT, if properly executed it could probably still hold fine.

Just my .02

I would just press out, drill the sleeve a few times before pressing back in, rosette weld, smooth high spots and done. Then weld the C to the tube as you would if there weren't any rosette welds.

Beerj said:
My guess is Traveler is thinking that the chances of the inner C spinning on the sleeve is greater because theres a decent chance that the sleeve will have a better weld attaching it to the axle tube. Like the root pass is only going from the tube to the sleeve, and the subsequent filler passes are the only thing going to the actual inner C material. I would lean towards agreeing with him, BUT, if properly executed it could probably still hold fine.

Just my .02
agreed

Beerj said:

Just my .02
I probably would have made the sleeve a half inch or so longer than the c to avoid that.

patooyee said:
I probably would have made the sleeve a half inch or so longer than the c to avoid that.

Hater :flipoff1:

I'd want the whole deal to press together, heavily. Any clearance at all between the tube and C is strength you are giving up.

Yes you could/can get enough weld around the tube/c interface to hold it all together, but I'd be mindful of overheating the axle tube material and making it brittle. Doesn't do any good for your C to stay on the tube, if the tube breaks 1/4" inside the weld.

I would hope he is retubing the 14b center with some new 3.5" x.5" wall tube, rather than using the stock 14b tube...

TBI toy nailed it on that post. And the whole point of building this axle is to stop breaking on every ride or how ever often its doing it, so why intentionally put a weak spot in it to start with, If it were me and I know its not but if it was I would rather knock out the sleeve get some bigger tube turn down the end for the housing itself, freeze the tube and slide it in, let it sit for several hours just to warm back up and get all the moisture out then weld it solid. But hey what do I know I just like to build **** that doesn't break if I have a chance to do so.

How expensive are new tubes? I've never built an axle like this but I would think that could be one of the less expensive parts of such a high dollar axle? :dunno:

My guess EOR makes the knuckles for 4" tubes, then anything smaller can use the sleeve. That way they don't have to stock all different size stock. :dunno:

redneckengineered said:
Damn! Must be nice to have that kind of money. How much? IDK I just told him to charge it to my EBT card and throw my copy of the invoice in the trash. Baller son!

We have just became best friends :drinkers: :stir: :popcorn: