• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Rock bouncer front axle beef???

Re:

Mortalis5509 said:
Rocksolid preformance makes slugs for the 05+. Not sure for a 40, but they do a 35. I'm sure they could though if you call them.

I believe Rocksolid performance has closed its doors.

Re:

sledneck said:
I believe Rocksolid performance has closed its doors.
I was thinking the same thing. That was the only company I came across and remembered seeing something on their site. Someone needs to jump on making them. They'll be getting used more and more I think.

14bolt front with spool and Yukons/Superjoints $$ or 300m RCVs $$$ should hold 500hp.
The bacons beat the crap out of their rigs with Big Blocks and Yukons. Spools are Key. (ask me how I know)....

tommy450r said:
Wasn't there a guy on here with 2 40 spline spools for a 14 bolt for sale??
I remember that. Don't recall who but I think they were either EOR or 40spline.com spools. I almost grabbed one for my rear until I found out I'd have to swap spindles and machine or replace the hubs. A front application would be less extra work since it's all getting built one way or another.

For 500hp and 44s or 43 stickies you're honestly fine with a set of quality 35 spline shafts especially in a front axle. RCV or CTM would be my first choice. Once you get to 600hp or more and drive like Jwhit55 then you need to start thinking about upgrading. 40 spline is the sweet spot for the ultimate bulletproof 14 bolt in my opinion and is a great match to the R&P strength. Leave the 2" for the rockwell or Dana 80 guys and even then that's overkill. Just my opinion. Jwhit is running our 300m stock style shafts in the rear of his which are 40 spline at the hub and 30 spline at the carrier and will fit a stock housing. He hasn't called me bitching yet so I think they're holding up great. Really happy to have those parts in his rig. Bubba Bacon is also running our rear stock style shafts but in 4340 and they have been holding up to his big block which I've been told is in the neighborhood of 800-900hp. He has been a great test bed for us to really push the envelope of what a quality stock style shaft can hold up to when built right. I figured we'd be having to throw a full 40 spline setup at him but not yet.

Let us know if we can help with your build . We have 30, 35 and 40 spline 14 bolt spools on the shelf and can build floater shafts to your specs with a quick turnaround thumb.gif

Batmobile Will said:
It really depends on the way your going to drive a high pinion 60 will hold up to 500 horses no problem if you drive like me but if your going to drive like Richie or Bobby just go ahead and do 40 & 47 spline RCV 14bolts and be done with it I know it's a lot of cost to start with but spending money twice is a lot of cost to

We don't make front shafts so I don't have a dog in this hunt but you're flushing money down the toilet if you put 47 spline shafts in a 14 bolt.

I didn't think that 2" shafts would fit in a 14 bolt? Isnt the bearing the limiting factor?

Elliott said:
I didn't think that 2" shafts would fit in a 14 bolt? Isnt the bearing the limiting factor?

Unless it is a custom Overson 14bolt. I believe he made a few mods to accommodate 2in stuff if I'm not mistaken.

Batmobile Will said:
Dale runs super duty stuff but he takes it easy on his rig lol

I have watched his "testing" closely. laughing1 Dale has ran 3/4 heim joints in his steering which have let go. I am a fan of the 05+ BJ stuff but would like to see what would have happened without a fuse in the steering.

We have built quite a few big front axles lately. So I have some info on what it takes to get it done.

When it comes to big axles we offer two options. 14 Bolts and Dana 80 s. I like both of them a lot. We all know the 14 bolt is a very strong axle but you can only go to 40 spline in a stock housing. With the Dana 80 you can get to 2" 47 spline. In the last year our industry has stepped up and made building these front axles so much easier. But here is a list of what I would recommend to some one building either axle.

40 Spline 14 Bolt

14 Bolt housing with new 3.5" x .500 wall DOM tubes pressed in
14bolt.jpg

40 spline.com spool
40spline14boltspoolwebc.jpg

Crane revolution Axle seals

rev1440.jpg

craneimga2_zps3d2fba37.jpg

For the outer wheel hubs you have two options

Ouverson Rockwell Spindles and hubs or Dana 60 wheel hubs and spindles. We have been going to the Rockwell hub and spindle lately because it is a little bit easier to deal with. The dana 60 wheel hubs require you to set the front race in then put a snap ring behind it. I have a hard time trusting the snap ring so I tack them in with a TIG welder. Either way works good though. Its really a personal preference thing.

If you go the Ouverson 8 lug hub route you get drive flanges with the hubs.

If you go the Dana 60 route then I would do a set of Crane 40 spline drive flanges.
cranedriveflange%20copy.jpg

2" 47 spline Dana 80

Dana 80 center section with either 4"x .250 wall or 4"x .500 wall DOM tubing

IMG_0716_zpsp8uderwi.jpg

Crane Axle Spool

dana80spool-copy.jpg

We build custom seal housings but I don't have any pictures to show.

Do Ouverson spindles and 8 lug Hubs for 2" 47 spline stuff

On knuckles with either axle I suggest our fabricated knuckles

IMG_2623_zps20xz28qk.jpg

We use RCV axle shafts mainly because of the turn around time and the warranty. You can't hardly beat them.
I know Ouverson will build custom axle shafts but I'm not sure on the price or lead time. I know if they come from Ouverson they will be quality though.

Like I said this is just the way I would put together a big axle. There are other ways to do it but these are two different paths to where all of the parts are available with little to no lead times.

We actually built a big press to help with re tubing axles in the shop.

image%2010_zpsb1b2q5k1.jpeg

image%2013_zpslybavklg.jpeg

We have a lot of experience in these types of axles and all of the parts are at our disposal. So give us a call if you need help .

Regarding the 05+ super duty C's and Knuckles. RCV & CTM make stub shafts that you don't need a drive slug for. They fit right into the unit bearing. The RCV's use their "rockwell" size bell and Ctm's use a 1550 joint. With the RCV's you have the option to run a 40 or 47 spline inner shaft.

05+ unit bearing

CTM shafts
1550004.jpg

DPP1009.JPG

RCV

but if you wanted to run 35 spline shafts, RPM offroad offered these (I don't see them on the site currently):
1054338d1380583656-rpm-offroad-drive-flanges-05-c-superduty-axles-img_0485.jpg

Thank you wizzo. I've heard of people doing the outers like that. It's nice to finally see it. I'm using a set of 05 axles on my buggy. I'll definitely go that route.

drycreekjeep said:
is that a seal in the back of the unit bearing? that u can see behind the tape measure?

That is a bearing that the stock axle shaft would ride in. It is removed when using the big shafts.

Currently, I know Mark Mathis, Jason Spegal (in his new single seat buggy) and Jim Gerst (Ridge Runner buggy) are running the Rockwell RCV's with F550 knuckles & C's. I'm sure there are others.

You don't have to use super 60 (F450-550) knuckles in order to use a 1550 joint?

I've got an 05+ axle under my XJ but it's not putting out any serious woopow.

94xjsport94 said:
You don't have to use super 60 (F450-550) knuckles in order to use a 1550 joint?

Correct, you can still run the big RCV's with the 250-350 stuff. Just don't have the added beef of the 450-550. The 450-550 C's & Knuckles are bigger than the F250-350 and the ball joints are bigger.

Stolen from Patooyee
IMG_20141122_191404.jpg

IMG_20141122_191312.jpg

IMG_20141122_172313525.jpg