• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Rockwell transfer case ?

Gibby1

Did I BREAK that.......
I found an SM420 mated to a Rockwell Transfer case. From what I've been able to find, these are pretty strong, they have the passenger side drop and centered rear that I need.
What I don't know is how LONG they are and I can't find that info anywhere? This is of a 1960 Chevy 3/4 ton, still running and driving, that's being parted out. The only diagrams I can find seem to show that it's a fairly long transfer case. Anyone familiar with these? I am putting this in the Willys so it can't be very long or I won't have a rear driveline.

Thanks for any help.

is there a plate on the case to i.d. it? probably a 221 with 1.94 low range.

I've not seen a picture yet, just the ad. The t-case is still in the truck which the seller is trying to sell whole but will part it out.

It's not easy to get info...

I found that thread while doing some homework, but thanks for the link.

Last edited:
These are awesome cases talk to willysredneck on here he runs one in his and so does another guy in the club and the out putt is on the bottom to so it gives you a good driveline angle to.

I just picked one up. SM420 mated to a Rockwell. Got a schweet deal on it. Shifters, bellhousing all included.

A little cleaning, a front seal on the rockwell and a gasket and it's good to go.

Had the same set up in a 69 blazer. Never had any issues with it althouth the low range is a bit high.

Had the same set up in a 69 blazer. Never had any issues with it althouth the low range is a bit high.

With the sm420 granny gear and 4.56 gears in the diffs, I don't think it'll be too bad. I don't know what low gear in the sm420 but I think it's either about 6.38 or 7.2. At least those numbers ring a bell for that transmission.

They're both pretty short which is great and I like the low output on the Rockwell. Not to mention the PTO output for future options.