• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Rockwells in LOW buggies

Nuts

Don't know if this is the right section for this, but post up some pics of super low buggies running Rockwells
I'm on the fence about using them,mainly because I don't want a super tall monster truck. If possible I'd want to run a 43-44 inch tire with 20-22" of belly height, but don't know if the huge diff will keep me from being that low.

If you are building from scratch there is no reason you can't be as low as you want. Put the front axle out in front of the engine and build around.

JJ's buggy is the lowest I have seen.

Saw it at the Bama Buggy Bash.

BTW JJ, I have a new line on the winch contactors out of Canada. Running one on my buggy.

Paul

How do YOU define low?

Roof Height?
Belly Height?
Tire size?
Amount of up suspension travel at ride height?

I'm not trying to be an ass or give you ****.......If I was I would have said "search" like this was pirate. LOL

"low" is a trick question now a days IMO. Kinda like "light". It's easy to get the top of the cage Low. It's easy to set a belly hieght low. Heck it's easy to get the top of the cage low on big tires with a low belly.

To me "low" is to getting the top of the cage low, on "big" tires, with a "tall enough belly"(20ish" in my case) at ride height....... all with 7ish inches of suspension up travel at ride height.

Throw Rockwells into that formula and no one does "LOW" better than the east coast crowd!! So your asking on the right forum for sure! :flipoff1:

So what are you looking for?

Re: Rockwells in LOW buggies

TURNEROFFROAD said:
My buggy build is LOW also... And I have 7" of up-travel in the front
You can make anything low when it's riding on the jackstands... laughing1

Blase said:
How do YOU define low?

Roof Height?
Belly Height?
Tire size?
Amount of up suspension travel at ride height?

I'm not trying to be an ass or give you ****.......If I was I would have said "search" like this was pirate. LOL

"low" is a trick question now a days IMO. Kinda like "light". It's easy to get the top of the cage Low. It's easy to set a belly hieght low. Heck it's easy to get the top of the cage low on big tires with a low belly.

To me "low" is to getting the top of the cage low, on "big" tires, with a "tall enough belly"(20ish" in my case) at ride height....... all with 7ish inches of suspension up travel at ride height.

Throw Rockwells into that formula and no one does "LOW" better than the east coast crowd!! So your asking on the right forum for sure! :flipoff1:

So what are you looking for?
Your right, I could've been more specific. What i really wanted to know is how to have the motor trans and case super low and get the front driveshaft to clear. In my head(i don't have bend tech or fancy computers to design stuff) my front driveshaft will be going up hill from the t-case to the axle. Not a big deal, I'm fairly sure I can clear everything. I was just wanting to see how others have done it so i could steal some ideas :tc

Nuts said:
Your right, I could've been more specific. What i really wanted to know is how to have the motor trans and case super low and get the front driveshaft to clear. In my head(i don't have bend tech or fancy computers to design stuff) my front driveshaft will be going up hill from the t-case to the axle. Not a big deal, I'm fairly sure I can clear everything. I was just wanting to see how others have done it so i could steal some ideas :tc
U run the transmission between u and passenger bout as high as a console my Rockwell buggy is 6'4" to top of cage and 28" belly and with a carrier bearing ur driveshaft will clear all kinds of **** o yeah I'm running 44" tires

While my buggy isn't retarded low, it sits at 84" tall on 46" Michelins, with 8" of uptravel. I have 23" under the belly and about 6" of headroom above my head
580872_513103012049662_849394414_n.jpg

As for driveshaft clearance issues, many run two piece front shafts. I recently built my buddy's rig with a two piece and used a large pillar block. Haven't beat on it yet, but the right two piece setup will solve most clearance issues. A thicker wall but smaller diameter shaft will help as well.

Around 23" belly and you can run a straight front shaft on 44's.Depending on your wheel base I wouldn't go much lower if it's going to be 120 ish like most rocked rigs, you would just end up high centering a lot.Ive got 23" of belly and equal length drive shafts with 123" wheel base.

I was gonna keep the wheelbase short compared to most and set it around 115. But this is all in the planning stages since now I have a set of tons and 39" reds. I picked up a front Rockwell and was gonna use it to make a steering 14 bolt and run 39s. Then is started to seem like a stupid idea to cut up a perfectly good steering axle to make another one. So now i wanna trade my reds for some 43 stickies and the tons for another steering Rockwell ... :dunno:

pachary said:
JJ's buggy is the lowest I have seen.

Saw it at the Bama Buggy Bash.

BTW JJ, I have a new line on the winch contactors out of Canada. Running one on my buggy.

Paul

I saw Da Situation at Buggy Bash and I think its probably lower than mine. Probably a few others out there now, too. Great rigs.

I think my winch issue is a winch issue, not the contactor. The contactor is clicking and doing what it is supposed to do. I need to open up the winch to find out for sure.

I would look at several buggies before starting, Rockwell buggies can be built low but you have to put a lot of fore thought in them. I can't think of anyone around you with one tho.