• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Rod End Ratings vs. estimated loads

Boxxerace

Hi all,

Just for grin's, I wonder if anyone has some real world data that can help a never-before-4linked type guy determine what quality and rating rod end one would need.

I created a virtual mockup of a suspension setup using the Suspension Calculator that Triaged (Pirate) made. On the materials tab in the excel spreadsheet, there is an estimated "rod end rated load".

On the upper links it calculated a load of "32,000 lbs" and the lower "55,000 lbs".

To me, these numbers seem high if this load rating is an estimate of what you should purchase. What I ponder, is how much fudge room these estimates provide? What are the ballpark ratings based on, ie: your rig dropping down off a 5 foot ledge, a 15 foot ledge, a 150 foot ledge?

In the real world, are dudes in Jeep TJ / Runner / Cherokee sized trucks splitting 3/4 thread, 16,000 lbs static load rated rod ends under aggressive or moderated driving? I know these things are all relative, but there has to be a way to provide some relational data.

Maybe the thing to do if find out what ratings / size joints folks are running. I have seen Bunks rig with his fist sized Evo joints to Warjeepers rig with zero joints. Thoughts?

rsmrsm-diag.jpg

I'm pretty sure the sausage runs 3/4 shank x 5/8 thru. this is with portal axles increases leverage against rod end's, used to have 49's, a 302 v8, and super low gear's..... As far as I have heard he's only ruined one bolt.....

I bet a load calculator would say about 250,000 in his scenario.

Droping off ledges isn't when they see the most load. It's when you hit large bumps when driving at speed.....Like trees.

What, you don't have fenders covering your tires? :cool:

D and Binder, this is exactly the kind of feedback that I need. Appreciate it much.

I ask ALOT out of my heims(.75 x .625).Although they have been rattley from week one(slop in the ball on a couple).they have never flinched at the pounding I give them.ALL the lower links(1.75" 7075) are bent,one really bad,none of the heim shanks are bent at all.I always(every trip) check to make sure my jam nuts are tight and that the link bolts are tight.

An example would be: full throttle launch to linkbar,skip off link to tire then up....repeat.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the sausage runs 3/4 shank x 5/8 thru. this is with portal axles increases leverage against rod end's, used to have 49's, a 302 v8, and super low gear's..... As far as I have heard he's only ruined one bolt.....

I bet a load calculator would say about 250,000 in his scenario.

I was using 3/4x5/8 and the 5/8 bolt was breaking frequently, but never a heim. I am now set up with 7/8x3/4.....time will tell

I was using 3/4x5/8 and the 5/8 bolt was breaking frequently, but never a heim. I am now set up with 7/8x3/4.....time will tell

Were you using grade 8's or those bolts that have an even higher rating (sorry, I am being relative again)?