• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Roll cage tie in...bushings or not?

FFDave

How much difference in "ride quality" is there using bushings vs just welding tube to frame? Am I making a mistake by not using bushings? 1992 one ton YJ that sees a lot of local driving on the street. Thanks.

I've only built one on a yj. No bushings plated and welded to the frame. I was worried about it cracking next to the welds but so far so good...really stiffened the chassis nicely. Only thing I reccomend is attaching to the body a bit also. Heard a story of a solidly mounted cage, seats attached to body but body tub only to frame. Body mounts failed and dude got squished between the tub and the roll cage.

I very rarely build cages with bushings. Most don't notice the difference between bushing or no bushing

So the cage is rigid but the body has bushings? I would think that would eventually act like a can opener at the cage feet. Seems like the cage and body should be similarly mounted, you wouldn't hard mount the engine and put bushings on the trans/tcase.

disclaimer: a jeep may behave different since it's short with a boxed frame but I still wouldn't do it.

nvrenuf said:
So the cage is rigid but the body has bushings? I would think that would eventually act like a can opener at the cage feet. Seems like the cage and body should be similarly mounted, you wouldn't hard mount the engine and put bushings on the trans/tcase.

disclaimer: a jeep may behave different since it's short with a boxed frame but I still wouldn't do it.

I guess it depends on how you mount the cage?

sandwich plates, or cutting holes through the tub to weld the cage to the frame...

TBItoy said:
I guess it depends on how you mount the cage?

sandwich plates, or cutting holes through the tub to weld the cage to the frame...

Good point, I was assuming sandwich plates.