• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Rubicon Headlights

82toyomud

So the stock headlights absolutly suck, so i'm researching new. I've considered going with hella's, or something similar, but want to step up to ones bigger and better, but don't really want to spend 400-500 for headlights. Does anyone know of anything inbetween 100-300? Also, what's everyone else run?

You can get the Hella H4 conversion housing and throw some PIAA H4 bulbs in there. I did that on my truck and it was a huge difference.

x 2 on the h4 conversion, most parts stores now have everything you will need ( harness, light buckets, and bulbs).
but even cheaper are Sylvania silver star replacment lights, they seem a bit brighter.

I dont like the silverstars, Ive heard many stories of them just not lasting that long, PIAA is brighter and has a 1 year warranty. If you get the H4 harness which hooks the bulbs direct to 12v and gives each bulb it own relay, it will make them even brighter yet. And yes you will notice the difference, its pretty significant. From experience, I had an older Toyota Supra with matching PIAA bulbs in the fog and headlights. They matched perfectly, but when I upgraded the harness, it made my fogs look like cheap bulbs.

yjkrawlin said:
x 2 on the h4 conversion, most parts stores now have everything you will need ( harness, light buckets, and bulbs).
but even cheaper are Sylvania silver star replacment lights, they seem a bit brighter.

i have silverstars in my cherokee, they are a little brighter, but the most differnce is in the COLOR of the light. stock is kinda yellow, and the silverstars are definitly white. if i coul do it over, i would get the H4 conversion.

I'd do the Hellas too (the new Euro version are even nicer!) I need to upgrade the H6054s in my Comanche, but for now I'll hook into the 2nd alternator stator output and run AC through the stock ones till they blow! :redneck:

Only problem is the H4 conversion isn't a sealed beam. if you develop a crack in the lamp housing, you will have to replace bulbs a lot.

I have no idea how much they cost because they were on my Jeep when I bought it, but I do know how bright they are. I'm actually embarassed in traffic sometimes. I don't know what wattage they are because I've never looked, but I have often wondered if they are even legal. Maybe that's why I haven't looked, I can play ignorant if I get pulled over without lying :redneck: Anyway, they are IPF lights. They cast kind of a greenish yellow light, not yellow like regular headlights, more of a brilliant almost day-glow kinda yellow. But just a hint. Hell I dunno, they are just damn bright.

Comet said:
I have no idea how much they cost because they were on my Jeep when I bought it, but I do know how bright they are. I'm actually embarassed in traffic sometimes. I don't know what wattage they are because I've never looked, but I have often wondered if they are even legal. Maybe that's why I haven't looked, I can play ignorant if I get pulled over without lying :redneck: Anyway, they are IPF lights. They cast kind of a greenish yellow light, not yellow like regular headlights, more of a brilliant almost day-glow kinda yellow. But just a hint. Hell I dunno, they are just damn bright.

plus IPF's have a two year warranty on the bulbs, housings, and harnesses.

I have the hella e's with the hella 55w/100w bulbs, I like them for the price /light put out...