• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Rubicon trail questions

mad chemist

I'm going to be trailering down to the Rubicon in a couple of weeks, and have a couple of questions for you guys that have done it before:

-Should I:
1) Leave the tow rig/trailer at Loon Lake, and run the Rubicon in both directions?
2) Leave the tow rig/trailer at the Tahoe end, then drive my wheeler over to Loon Lake and just run the trail in one direction
3) Leave the tow/rig trailer at Loon lake, run the trail in one direction and drive the wheeler back to Loon lake when I'm done?

-Any risk of theft leaving the trailer/tow rig at Loon lake?
-Is it a very tough trail? I get the impression there are enough bypasses that it isn't all that hard
-What else is worth seeing while we're down there?
-Drive I-5 down to Sacramento then cut over?

Thanks a bunch for your input,

David

What do you wheel? I've done it twice.

Day 1

Park tow rig at Loon Lake, load up your camping gear, wheel in to Buck Island Lake & set up camp, swim in Buck Island Lake, camp

Day 2

Wheel through Rubicon Springs, up Cadillac Hill & back to Buck Island Lake, go play in Little Sluice & Old Sluice, camp

Day 3

Breakdown camp, load up & head back to Loon Lake​

We drove I5 down to Sacramento & then took HWY 50 to Ice House Road. On the way home you should continue down HWY50 & drive around Lake Tahoe, then hit Reno & head home through Kalamath Falls.

What do you wheel? I've done it twice.

Day 1

Park tow rig at Loon Lake, load up your camping gear, wheel in to Buck Island Lake & set up camp, swim in Buck Island Lake, camp

Day 2

Wheel through Rubicon Springs, up Cadillac Hill & back to Buck Island Lake, go play in Little Sluice & Old Sluice, camp

Day 3

Breakdown camp, load up & head back to Loon Lake​

We drove I5 down to Sacramento & then took HWY 50 to Ice House Road. On the way home you should continue down HWY50 & drive around Lake Tahoe, then hit the moon rocks just outside of Reno & head home through Kalamath Falls.

Fixed :redneck:

So are you going labor day weekend?

Nah, we're leaving WA the weekend after, figure it'll be a bit quieter with school being back in session. This should be an interesting trip. My buddy will be driving back up to Seattle afterwards, and I'll start working my way over to Wyoming for a guided antelope hunting trip I've got booked. It's my big vacation for the year.

I recommend staying a day at rubicon springs, its fabulous expecially if nobody is there.
127.jpg

Nah, we're leaving WA the weekend after, figure it'll be a bit quieter with school being back in session. This should be an interesting trip. My buddy will be driving back up to Seattle afterwards, and I'll start working my way over to Wyoming for a guided antelope hunting trip I've got booked. It's my big vacation for the year.

Thats the weekend I might be there. :awesomework: I thought I was going for labor day and just found out the other day it's the weekend after.

Good deal, will keep an eye out for WA plates while we're there. We're leaving town Saturday, so figure we'll hit the trail on Sunday or Monday.

David

the best most beautiful place I have wheeled. best trip ever. we left two trucks at loon lake, ice chests with beer... 4 days and everything as we left it. I wanted to go again about now this year, but had to get a job:mad: self employment rocked for effin' off. Btw a guy drove an open/open 86-89 runner to buck island on bfg mt 32's. Thanks again LarryS:awesomework:

Good deal, will keep an eye out for WA plates while we're there. We're leaving town Saturday, so figure we'll hit the trail on Sunday or Monday.

David

I think are plans are to get there thursday night and leave friday night or saturday morning and head over to reno for a couple days.