• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Running out of gas

Zjman

Ok I'm bored and I see this every day, people running out of gas, who all has done it and why did it happened, I see people with gas cans all the time that are clearly old cans so they must do this a lot, I personally can only recall doing it once in a dodge intrepid that the gauge showed over a quarter tank but was empty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have them towed in all the time. Had one girl have hers towed in 3 times in 2 weeks. :****:

I was always told to fill up at a 1/4 of a tank. Kept the pump cooler / better environment, and when you had a car that put down serious HP(for what it was), you ran less of a risk of running lean from slosh and ****ing alota other stuff up.

In high school I had no money, dad would only let me work on the farm as an unpaid intern laughing1 and money was very short. I got to sell wood in the winter out of what was left from cutting hedge posts and did hay in the summer after ours was done. My old 79 chevy had no gas gauge and I had no money, so I ran out a few times. Like 5 times my senior year, normally within a block of the gas station. Pushed it in a few times, alway try to approach from the uphill direction.
At 20 I Borrowed my mom's S10 blazer once to run one town over and ran out on the side of the road with 1/4 tank left on the gauge. That was an awesome walk.
At 25 my Dodge diesel ran out on a wheeling trip (fuel gauge decided to quit the week before). I was driving by the odometer and headed to the gas station over the next hill and apparently my mileage calc was off with the trailer and rig I was towing (first time pulling, big goosneck and rockwell rig). Everybody else had 50 miles left and I was out so we found out.
I don't remember if its happened since then, that last one was 13 years ago. To my best recollection I haven't, and neither has my wife of 10 years or my senior in HS daughter. My wife pushes it all the time driving with the ****ing fuel light on and it pisses me off. Fuel pumps like to be wet for longevity and the top half costs the same as the bottom half.

Re:

I ran out on September 7th, 1996. The other time was this past year when I could not get off the interstate while pulling through Nashville. I wasn't out, but the 7.3 was coughing and wheezing so I dumped some mystery fluids out of random half empty containers in the bed of the truck. Got to the station coasting in.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Twice, driving a 73 Jeep Commando with a broken gas gauge. First time on propose to figure out what kind of mileage it got, I had a full can of gas with me. The second time was two days later five miles from the gas station.....I was never very good at math.

I have a few times. Once cause gauge was broken and I forgot MPGs go down towing a 30' trailer and a Jeep. Once I just forgot to fill up. :dunno: I think it is incredibly stupid to do it, that is why I tend to not tell folks I have, but since it is just you and me and it won't get out I will share...

1/2 mile from the house about ten min from when I was supposed to be at the lenders office to close on our house. I couldn't help but laugh. The wife was not happy. Lol

Hell i ran my 350 out just last week. The gage on the rear tank dont work so its run it till it studders swich tanks and rock on. Works good goin down the road. Sucks when it happens at a red light

Ran out a few times in my F150. Gas guage would go down, down, and stick at 1/4 tank. Those few times I'd say to myself, "I got at least 2 days lef...." sputter-sputter-die.

Ran out in the wife's car once or twice. Road trips, 50 miles to E light is actually about 80-100 so I just keep rolling, sometimes the gamble doesn't pay off.

I've ran out on a four wheeler and a tractor before. Never in my a car/truck. It gets aaround 1/4 I fill up. I did have my jeep leaned way over one weekend and the fuel pump stopped getting fuel, but I had over a 1/4 in it and had been riding for 3 days before.

I can understand in a beater car/truck but I see people in damn near new vehicles running out. I preached to my kids keep it at a 1/2 tank. Saves the fuel pump.

My friend had a 04 durmax that he bought new and the fuel gauge never work right. When it showed 1/4 of a tank it was about empty. One time going to Windrock we ran out of fuel in the middle of Knoxville,tn on interstate 40. We unloaded the buggy on the side of the interstate and hooked it up to the truck and trailer and pulled it to the the gas station in downtown Knoxville. We got a lot of crazy looks seeing us pull up in bruiser buggy pulling a truck and trailer!! ;D

Oh yea. I was that guy. 2008 Silverado. I just flat out screwed up and got in a hurry packing, working, etc and was in a rush to get to the closing.

Used to run out in my 82 Cherokee all the time as a teenager ::) stupid gauge stopped at 1/4 tank.

My buddy worked for a boat dealership, they had a demo day at the lake one Saturday. We went out to wakeboard and ran out, just so happened to have a bullhorn in the boat from a poker run earlier that day. There were some guys fishing a couple hundred yards away, I asked them (in Eric Hagan fashion) if they weren't catching anything if they would tow us back in. They laughed and then all my buddy's customers laughed at him in a new 70k dollar boat being drug back to the dock by a 80s bass boat. :rolf:

His boss was kinda pissed.

I only recall running out of gas once in a car/truck, and it was a 97 Cavalier I used as a gas saver. Me and a buddy were hauling ass on the interstate coming home from Gadsden, seems like we were racing some other shitbag car up the interstate and excessive throttle and lack of attention to gas gauge led to coasting down off ramp with dead engine right up to a red light, where I just pulled off to the side of the road. Luckily only had a few hundred yard walk to the nearest gas station.

THE BIG STORY....

**** me, burns me up to tell this one. Still kick myself for it. So I left out of work one night a little early on my bike I had at the time back in 2011. It was the first bike I had after the big bike wreck, sport cruiser, and I wasn't used to the miles per tank (no fuel gauge). I left work early to meet some friends at Nightfall in Chattanooga, we rode around a little, ate, had a few beers, saw rain moving in on radar so we decided to split and head home. It was already after midnight. Not 5 minutes after we get back on the interstate, my gas light came on. I figured I could make it home on gas light...I was wrong. On the way home it started sprinkling and my buddies on crotch rockets just left me like I was sitting still Lol, so I cruised on down the interstate toward home. The bottom dropped out around the Valley Head exit, so I hit the next exit and pulled over under a gas station that was closed. I literally parked right beside a gas pump that I could have used my card at and got gas. Never even dawned on me to do that. Stupid! I sat there a few minutes and the rain let up so I got back on the interstate. I was only about 5 minutes from the exit I needed to get off to get gas and go home on anyways. About 3 miles before I got to the exit with all the gas stations, ****ing bike started sputtering, and I may have made it another half mile before rolling to a stop. It's raining pretty good again, thunder and lightning, I took my phone out to call for help (1.30am by this time on a Friday night). Called one buddy, no answer, called the second buddy, no answer, called first one back, no answer and phone died!!! OMG I was pissed. I took my backpack off and put my phone on the very innermost pocket to hopefully save it from getting soaked, but it didn't help, it got ruined that night from all the rain. So I just said fawk it, left my helmet, gloves, riding jacket, and backpack on and began to push my 650 lb motorcycle to the gas station after only about 1.5 years of being a new amputee with a prosthetic leg. I'd have to push about 40-50 feet then sit on it and rest a minute. Took me a little over an hour to push that ****er 2.5 miles in a continuous thunderstorm with a prosthetic leg to the next exit and coasted down the off ramp and into a gas station. I was fawking give slap out after that. Never again have I or will I push my limits on a gas light. Back in my crotch rocket days, my sportbike I had would have easily made it home on the gas light, but that sport cruiser didn't get quite the mpg's my old crotch rocket did. Hell of a story to tell though. Perfect storm, right down to the dying cell phone that later got ruined by water damage. Hope I'm never in a situation like that again!

TacomaJD said:
I only recall running out of gas once in a car/truck, and it was a 97 Cavalier I used as a gas saver. Me and a buddy were hauling ass on the interstate coming home from Gadsden, seems like we were racing some other shitbag car up the interstate and excessive throttle and lack of attention to gas gauge led to coasting down off ramp with dead engine right up to a red light, where I just pulled off to the side of the road. Luckily only had a few hundred yard walk to the nearest gas station.

THE BIG STORY....

**** me, burns me up to tell this one. Still kick myself for it. So I left out of work one night a little early on my bike I had at the time back in 2011. It was the first bike I had after the big bike wreck, sport cruiser, and I wasn't used to the miles per tank (no fuel gauge). I left work early to meet some friends at Nightfall in Chattanooga, we rode around a little, ate, had a few beers, saw rain moving in on radar so we decided to split and head home. It was already after midnight. Not 5 minutes after we get back on the interstate, my gas light came on. I figured I could make it home on gas light...I was wrong. On the way home it started sprinkling and my buddies on crotch rockets just left me like I was sitting still Lol, so I cruised on down the interstate toward home. The bottom dropped out around the Valley Head exit, so I hit the next exit and pulled over under a gas station that was closed. I literally parked right beside a gas pump that I could have used my card at and got gas. Never even dawned on me to do that. Stupid! I sat there a few minutes and the rain let up so I got back on the interstate. I was only about 5 minutes from the exit I needed to get off to get gas and go home on anyways. About 3 miles before I got to the exit with all the gas stations, ****ing bike started sputtering, and I may have made it another half mile before rolling to a stop. It's raining pretty good again, thunder and lightning, I took my phone out to call for help (1.30am by this time on a Friday night). Called one buddy, no answer, called the second buddy, no answer, called first one back, no answer and phone died!!! OMG I was pissed. I took my backpack off and put my phone on the very innermost pocket to hopefully save it from getting soaked, but it didn't help, it got ruined that night from all the rain. So I just said fawk it, left my helmet, gloves, riding jacket, and backpack on and began to push my 650 lb motorcycle to the gas station after only about 1.5 years of being a new amputee with a prosthetic leg. I'd have to push about 40-50 feet then sit on it and rest a minute. Took me a little over an hour to push that ****er 2.5 miles in a continuous thunderstorm with a prosthetic leg to the next exit and coasted down the off ramp and into a gas station. I was fawking give slap out after that. Never again have I or will I push my limits on a gas light. Back in my crotch rocket days, my sportbike I had would have easily made it home on the gas light, but that sport cruiser didn't get quite the mpg's my old crotch rocket did. Hell of a story to tell though. Perfect storm, right down to the dying cell phone that later got ruined by water damage. Hope I'm never in a situation like that again!
That's a epic funny ass story. Lmao

I ran out a few days ago in the Yukon. 1/4 tank means empty apparently.

There was a guy with a lawnmower trailer at Mini Burger across the road, I walked in and asked to borrow his gas can.
He says "yeah help yourself, I just filled it up". Took it, put it in the Yukon, drove across the road to the gas station and filled up my tank and his can and put it back on his trailer

Most convenient out-of-gas scenario ever.
Bonus is when I ran out I coasted into a liquor store and the guys riding with me wanted to stop at a liquor store anyway.