• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

RV roof sealant

nick c

Lewis & Clark bitches!
What do you guys with RV's use to seal the roof and seams? I've got an old camper, it's not a looker but the inside is fine and it gets the job done. We just had it at Longbeach and I noticed a couple small leaks, 1 is on a window joint the other is on the seam between the roof and side panel.

I had some household indoor/outdoor caulk in my gun so I sealed up a few other spots before the trip and it looks like some of it washed out.

If there's something that can be rolled/brushed on that would be a bonus as it would make doing the roof seams easier.

depends on what's already on it now. Biggest thing is be sure its clean and dry before applying any product. I use the stuff they have at camping world and silicone caulking where that doesn't work.

scrub the top...rinse..let dry in the sun for a few days...buy a gallon of snow roof..make sure camper is level..pour and roll...

scrub the top...rinse..let dry in the sun for a few days...buy a gallon of snow roof..make sure camper is level..pour and roll...

:awesomework: This is what I'm looking for awesome.

And Jim, I'll check camping world this weekend. That'll be good to get around the windows and the main seams.

:awesomework: This is what I'm looking for awesome.

And Jim, I'll check camping world this weekend. That'll be good to get around the windows and the main seams.

Snow coat is good for covering and protecting the roof. Go to camping world or there is a good rv shop in Buckley too. Buy a self leveling sealant for sealing everything on the roof that has a seam. Then buy a flexible sealant for sealing everything on the sides. I can't remember the brand of the sealant but think it starts with a D.

I figure I will bump up this super old thread rather than starting a new one. If you want a nice clean permanent fix look into Eternabond tape. They have various widths (2",4",6", etc) and it will adhere to most materials. If you prep well and apply it correctly it can last like 15-20 years. You can apply it over the top of old lap sealant, just make sure to use some kind of solvent to get all the dirt and grime off of it first. I have been resealing all the seams on my 5th wheel with it, it is much simpler and far less messy than lap sealant. It is kind of pricey, but when you factor in the life expectancy of it, it will be cheaper in the long run than redo the lap sealant every 3-4 years.

Attachments

• IMG_20150810_170119.jpg
    IMG_20150810_170119.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_20150810_170218.jpg
    IMG_20150810_170218.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 169
  • 20150811_174420.jpg
    20150811_174420.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 167
  • 20150811_184746.jpg
    20150811_184746.jpg