• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Safe method to clean valves

LSO

So im in the middle of a over haul on my 22re head. My valves are caked with some nasty stuff im looking for a safe way to clean them up. I know not to work on the seating surface. But what kind of abrasive would be safe to get the crap (mud) off. Also got a bit of build up on some of the piston heads. Is there a way to clean the tops with out removing or replacing them. The origional problem is leaking valves so im trying to not open the bottom end as the cylinder walls look fine. Just trying to get the gunk out safely.

Thanks
Bela

If the valves were leaking you need to clean them up with a wire wheel, put them back in the head and check the seal on them. You can vacuum test them or you can use window cleaner in the chamber and blow compressed air down the port. Stuff a rag in the port next to the blow gun so you get some decent pressure in the port. If the valves are not sealing the head needs a valve job.

If the valves were leaking you need to clean them up with a wire wheel, put them back in the head and check the seal on them. You can vacuum test them or you can use window cleaner in the chamber and blow compressed air down the port. Stuff a rag in the port next to the blow gun so you get some decent pressure in the port. If the valves are not sealing the head needs a valve job.

Wire wheel the sealing surface? That seams risky. I was going to use a lapping tool and grinding compound and clean the seats that way and then cheak for leaks again.

If you are careful and have a narrow wire wheel on the bench grinder it will work fine. Get the big stuff off with the wire wheel and you can scrape the rest with a screwdriver or razor blade.

Right on thanks for the info.

Have you guys used the engine builders gasket kits? are the head gaskets up to snuff? read mixed reviews.

Wire wheel the valve clean..... Lapping compound the valve to valve seat. Do it with either a lapping suction cup tool or from up above with a slow speed valve....in and out until you see its consistent all the way around. That's how I have done it..

Best way is use brake cleaner, tip the head so the chamber fills up around the valve seat, and if you have the cleaner seaping past the seat into the runner, it leaks, if not-you're good to go...

Ya use brake cleen not water. Brake cleen molecules are smaller and will detect a leak more accurately than water.

Thanks guys i already did the break cleaner cheak.

What in really interested in is if people are useing the engine builder kits?

Thanks for all the input guys.