• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Saginaw vs psc

R

rednecklights

Im currently running a Saginaw pump to feed my steering, it works "ok" I think I need add a larger cooler ... I also have a nib psc tc pump.

what if anything would I gain from swapping to the psc pump?

What kind of Saginaw pump... TC is also a Saginaw.... ?

I'm gonna assume you are running a P pump now.

You could spin the tc pump faster and get better low rpm steering maybe. Or swap to a remote reservoir if you don't have one

Re:

If the p works and you are happy with it I wouldn't change it.

From what I understand the advantage of the tc is easier mounting in custom applications and it has bearings so you can overdrive the **** out of it by using small pulleys and it won't explode

Just my 2 cents, but since your goin to upgrade the cooler, go with a plate type with a fan, I was having problems with heat, and put that on there with Amsoil Hydraulic oil and it stays so cool you can stick your finger in it after riding all day!

An off the shelf , "P" style saginaw pump, will be rated for anything from 2.4 to 3.5 (gpm) flow and 1100-1450 psi pressure.

Most PSC pumps are 4 to 4.5 gpm and 1450-1650 psi which is much better suited for full hydro applications

Also, a pump starts wearing imediately, so if it is an old pump then it could be worn out and if someone ever ran ATF in it then chances are it isn't producing all that it should

If you have time and are interested in some good facts call Lance at PSC

Fluids, coolers, etc. will more than likely get brought up too - I have had excellent results out of redline and royal purple , cavitation/aeriation and heat are huge problems with full hyrdo and i have personally seen those two fluids almost solve those issues with no other changes than fluid

onetoncrawler said:
Also, a pump starts wearing imediately, so if it is an old pump then it could be worn out and if someone ever ran ATF in it then chances are it isn't producing all that it should

If you have time and are interested in some good facts call Lance at PSC

Fluids, coolers, etc. will more than likely get brought up too - I have had excellent results out of redline and royal purple , cavitation/aeriation and heat are huge problems with full hyrdo and i have personally seen those two fluids almost solve those issues with no other changes than fluid

This sounds like my problem to a T. Good info. I still haven't changed fluids yet to see if it helps my junk for fawking with my damn front end. One day, maybe I'll get it fully worked out.

I am using the P saginaw pump. It was all fine after a few months that I heard a lock to lock noise, don't have any idea where the noise is coming from.

Just my personal experience here, but i felt a night and day difference in ease of steering when i went from a stock pump to a PSC pump. I use synth amsoil with a heatsink style cooler ( which i'm honestly not 100% sure is doing a gotdayum thing) and have no heat issues