• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Salisa Co

jeeppoor

A group of us are heading to Salisa Co to meet up with a couple of fellow wheelers from Michigan. They Live in New Mexico. One of them has been wheeling in Col. for years. We are planning (hoping) that we can get a few a days of easy 2 track wheeling / sire seeing. Then a day or 2 (depending on how many of the rigs break) wheeling the hard stuff.
Has anyone ever been wheel there?
Any suggesting on what we should see?

Been to Salida, Co many times. Lots of cool trails in that area. Most are in the Chalk Creek Canyon area.

Grizzly Lake Trail is a good one. Mount Antero Trail is another good one.

Iron Chest Trail is more challenging and fun, but easily doable without breakage.

Just be attentive. Most of those trails are pretty easy, but they are no place to **** up, especially on the exposed narrow trails above treeline.

Salida was the South edge of our coverage last year, we went playing from Buena vista to Breckenridge mostly. The stuff around Leadville is cool. I'd like to spend more time back there, Buena is cool as **** too. We went to several mines around Leadville, Birds Eye gulch etc. Assuming you're staying on this side of Monarch? Taylor park is neat for just driving and seeing crazy scenery gravel road style up a mountain.

blacksheep10 said:
Salida was the South edge of our coverage last year, we went playing from Buena vista to Breckenridge mostly. The stuff around Leadville is cool. I'd like to spend more time back there, Buena is cool as **** too. We went to several mines around Leadville, Birds Eye gulch etc. Assuming you're staying on this side of Monarch? Taylor park is neat for just driving and seeing crazy scenery gravel road style up a mountain.

We did a bunch of trails up near Leadville/Fairplay. Red Cone, Webster Pass, SOB Hill, Radical Hill, Georgia Pass, most of Holy Cross, etc. Taylor Park/Tin Cup area is great also.

This is my wheel house, I grew up on these trails. It depends on what time of year you're going. As Mentioned, Grizzly Lake, pretty easy, the entrance obstacle and a long steep rock climb, after that it's just beautiful. The pay off view at the lake and it is one of my favorite places to be. If it's not summer most of the tails in that area will be snow packed. You're very close to an easy trail there Chinamans Gulch and also Carnage Canyon. It's buggy stuff... can be done in a full body keep but its not going to look the same as when you started. Feel free to PM me, I know most every trail in Colorado.

London said:
This is my wheel house, I grew up on these trails. It depends on what time of year you're going. As Mentioned, Grizzly Lake, pretty easy, the entrance obstacle and a long steep rock climb, after that it's just beautiful. The pay off view at the lake and it is one of my favorite places to be. If it's not summer most of the tails in that area will be snow packed. You're very close to an easy trail there Chinamans Gulch and also Carnage Canyon. It's buggy stuff... can be done in a full body keep but its not going to look the same as when you started. Feel free to PM me, I know most every trail in Colorado.
We are goin the first week in July.
Any camp ground you would recommend?
Close to the trail heads. We want to drive the buggy on the road as least as possible.

jeeppoor said:
We are goin the first week in July.
Any camp ground you would recommend?
Close to the trail heads. We want to drive the buggy on the road as least as possible.
Or you can RV or truck camp for free next to the Arkansas River..., big gravel lot between the highway & river just SE of Salida on Highway 50. "Salida BLM" area

Here is a couple of the trails he is talking about taking us on.
My favorite trail, chinaman, is there. If Roy wants to abuse his rock buggy, carnage canyon trail is right there also.
How ruff is carnage canyon trail?

Depends on your rig.

Keep an eye out for mountain lions on those two trails. Sightings there are fairly common.

42s, tons coilovers yad yad.
I can keep up with Tony B on all the gravek roads and bypasses. LOL

Then easy smeezy. Lots of youtube video of those trails. They arent high in the mtns at treeline. They are down in the valley just south of Bueno Vista in the dry foothills.

We have 3 rigs coming from Missouri (2 buggy's and jeep). We are staying in Buena Vista and plan on Chinamans Gulch, Carnage and going up to Holy Cross. We get intown on the june 30 thru and leave July 7

scrambler scott said:
We have 3 rigs coming from Missouri (2 buggy's and jeep). We are staying in Buena Vista and plan on Chinamans Gulch, Carnage and going up to Holy Cross. We get intown on the june 30 thru and leave July 7
We will be out there are the same time. I am hopping to have everything nailed do this week.
It would be nice to hook up, put faces and rigs with names. And run a few trails together.
Not sure about the group I am going with. As to what they are willing to take on. LOL
But we are up for all the trails you posted (you tubed them). The wife loves the rocks. Both riding and driving. Only problem I have with her is she seems to have no fear. LOL And she hates mud.

My understanding is if your are street legal (tag, insurance,liscense, sober,etc), you do not need a permit. We are street legal and have been out there +30 times, never bought a permit and never had a problem.

But, if you ain't street legal, you do need some type of Colorado offroad vehicle sticker. At least that is the way I understand it.

There are lots of rangers out there on state and federal land just looking for a reason to write you up for getting off the trail, drinking while driving, no permit, etc.

http://cpw.state.co.us/buyapply/Pages/RegistrationsOHV.aspx

https://www.cpwshop.com/privilegepos.page

"A resident only needs an OHV permit when their vehicle is plated through the DMV. Non-residents who bring OHVs into Colorado must purchase an OHV permit. OHVs include motorcycles, dirt bikes, three wheelers, ATVs and dune buggies operated on public land or trails in Colorado."

Out there, you is a dune buggy. :JRich:

We were passing thru a little town and a bunch of buggy's rod thru town with Wyoming plates on them and i wouldn't think they are street legal, do you think they stuck a plate on them and registered them as a jeep they might have? Hypothetically speaking ::)

Could have.

We have a guy in our club with a rig that looks like some kind of weird buggy. Its actually an old Yoter long wheel base truck with the body and bed removed and replaced with tube and some sheet metal. He got pulled over near Silverton on Hwy 550 by the law thinking he was not registered. But he was registered with a tag and insurance and they let him go.

98TJ said:
My understanding is if your are street legal (tag, insurance,liscense, sober,etc), you do not need a permit. We are street legal and have been out there +30 times, never bought a permit and never had a problem.

But, if you ain't street legal, you do need some type of Colorado offroad vehicle sticker. At least that is the way I understand it.

There are lots of rangers out there on state and federal land just looking for a reason to write you up for getting off the trail, drinking while driving, no permit, etc.

http://cpw.state.co.us/buyapply/Pages/RegistrationsOHV.aspx

https://www.cpwshop.com/privilegepos.page

"A resident only needs an OHV permit when their vehicle is plated through the DMV. Non-residents who bring OHVs into Colorado must purchase an OHV permit. OHVs include motorcycles, dirt bikes, three wheelers, ATVs and dune buggies operated on public land or trails in Colorado."

Out there, you is a dune buggy. :JRich:
Ours is liscense, insurance and taged as a jeep. Still looks some what like a jeep. And I havent had a beer in over 3 years. lol