• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Sand Blasting?

skipnrocks

So my question is how broke down should your rig be when taking it to sandblasting. Just the d-train out? or should brakes and hubs etc be pulled? some level of detail would be awesome! Thanks guys..

awesome thanks.... never sandblasted a rig, usually a flap disc and some rustoleum semi gloss. LOL Which brings me to my next question, I know powdercote is a no no for most stuff on my rig but what paint/ primer works well on bare steel?

i sprayed my cage with tractor black from tractor supply 2 years ago and it has held up great

I had a trailer frame sand blasted a couple of years ago and for an extra fee they primed it with the red self etching primer. It was cheaper to pay them to prime it than I could buy the primer for and do it myself.

I painted it with that cheap ass $1.99 walmart spray paint :gay: and it is discolored and peeling/ chipping off 3 years later but the primer is still holding up great!

Definately lay down a good coat of self etching primer, or some sandblasters will do epoxy primer (even better). Paint with an equipment or tractor type paint. It doesn't lay down quite as slick as other automotive type paints, but it's tough as nails and you'll never see the difference on a tube chassis. It's cheaper, too.

Tractor paint is cheap but it is a good idea to have it UV protected at a paint shop (parts store that mixes paint). If you don't it will fade after about 2 years of being in the sun and exposed to weather.

Yeah, Valspar is good or check your local auto paint store. There are several good brands of industrial paint. You can also use Rustoleum, just thin with mineral spirits to spray. It is very durable but takes forever to cure out completely (like a week or two in warm weather) and has a nice gloss. If you're doing black, GM has semi gloss black chassis paint, tough as hell! Prolly can get it at an auto parts store.