• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

SBC oiling issue

J_SIN

my neighbor pulled the motor out of his boat and got a vortec 350 for it. he didnt want to get a vortec intake for it so he got some new heads. tonight they were going to adjust the valves so they spun the oil pump with a drill to get the hydraulic lifters in running order. the drivers side push rods all have oil except one and the whol passenger side gets no oil. does anyone have any suggestions on what could be the problem? why would one side not get oil at all? he said he made sure no ports were blocked with the head gaskets.

forgot to mention we did that. he burned out his drill motor trying to make it easy :haha: mostly he was cranking it with a breaker bar though. it was cranked quite a bit while running the pump.

Possibly the oil port hole in the head gasket doesn't line up with the head. I hope he looked at it when installing the heads?

:Edit:...My above post is wrong. The oil doesn't go through the head gasket it goes up the push rods.......I was thinking steam holes and that's only on 400's.........:looser:
Carry on.............

Last edited:
i have in the past had it take up to 10 minutes to get oil to the rockers, if you havent achieved it then theres a oil galley problem somewhere...

If your using "only" a distributor shaft it will only lube one side of the lifter galley I use a Old distributor with the gear ground down that way it directs oil to the other side of the lifter galley.

yeah I figured out that the distributor had to be in to create enough back pressure in the oil galley to get the lifters oiling on teh passenger side. I feel retarded for not noticing it sooner but I've never even seen the top end of a SBC taken apart before. it turned out to be a good thing though cause they put the old cam from the boat in the vortec block and I didnt know that so now the vortec cam is back in and everything is all buttoned up. I'm not sure exactly what heads they are. he picked them up at the swap meet last weekend for 180 bucks and the guy still had the boxes for them even. all I know is they are from world products.

if this is mercruiser engine, make sure he puts it in base time when setting timing or the computer will have it advanced

Last edited:

Latest posts