• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

School me on bush hogs

lowbudgetjunk said:
I bought small 25 hp diesel tractor to do work around the house. It has a front loader on it, but I need to get a hush hog. I am guessing 6 foot is way too big for it. That leaves me with a 4 or 5 foot option. Is a 5 footer gonna be too much? Any brand to look out for?

I bought a new B2920 Kubota 4wd 29hp diesel compact tractor w/FEL about 3 years ago. I bought a new 4' Land Pride bush hog for it. I got 4' because I mainly use it in the woods between trees, stumps, rocks and what not. I also use it in grown over fields once each year. My tractor pulls it like it ain't back there. It would easily pull a 5' bush hog.

I also bought a new Land Pride 5' finish mower. Again, my tractor doesn't even know its back there. I wish I had bought a 6' finish mower.

lowbudgetjunk said:
Non live PTO but planning on running an ORC

I highly recommend this. It'll really make a difference and be a lot safer.

If you have fairly flat ground and gonna cut as often as you said above, you could get by with a little bigger than 4'. If you've got hills I wouldn't go over 4' pick-up type and you really need orc. The only rotary cutters I have are Woods and Bush Hog, have both in bat wing and 3 point, and I really recommend them. The 3 points are 7' and will lift front tires up on a 60 hp tractor, but these are not cheap pasture clippers either. This said People use large cutters on small tractors everyday just like guy above using the 40 hp, personally I only pull the batwings with 160hp 130hp or larger. Maybe just not on same terrain and doing what I'm using them for. Trees don't stand a chance with high hp tractor and stump jumper. If you get a T bar type don't try grinding big brush.

Key to clean looking cut is rpms and good blades. edit: fat fingered

You asked about finish mowers, a quality finish mower with sharp blades will take down 6" grass slick; as long as your not trying to run 10mph.

There are big differences in finish mower quality. Again we use land pride and woods. They will also take a bit more power to turn than a brush hog of the same size.

I use a seven foot finish mower on my yard,about 3+ acres. Used it for about eleven years now and replace blades every few years. Had to replace pinion bearing once and that's it. Does good job,it's a First Choice I got from a local impliment company. I use it behind a Mahindra 4110 4x4.

Re: School me on bush hogs

I don't know **** about bush hogs other than they have a lifetime warranty. I work with 3 guys that used to work for Bush Hog and they all say that Bush Hog stands behind their warranty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been using my loader already a good bit. I am thinking I might could get away with a 5 footer. In 2nd and 2nd, it seems like there is a lot of torque and not too fast that steering gets crazy. I'm replacing the water pump and some fluids. After that and welding up the loader, I will revisit this whole bush hog thing. I know I need an ORC for sure. Brakes work pretty well, but that still isn't saying much when you get this heavy beast moving.