• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

School me on D60 FF rear axle

Ethann

Hello!

I've done a fair amount of searching with some vague information but..not to much luck..

Hopefully someone could send me in the right direction or lend some knowledge thumb.gif

I recently bought a rig with Solid Axle Industries front and rear d60s, I've just done an overhaul on the front outers and just want to clean up the rear.
The rear hubs are leaking and the old owner supplied some axle seals with the sale. Does anyone have a link to a thread on a how to? Or give me a quick run down on whats required to change them out?
First time searching I thought they were next to the carrier and the carrier had to be pulled, but more searching I see they could be on the outer? The bearings get lubed by the oil if I'm right? But recommended to grease them as well, and the oil with wash the grease out when it makes its way to them?

Sorry for the noob question, I've just liked the more understanding 'family' feel about this forum over another popular forum lol.
And, I'm work away and hoping to hook in and get this seal sorted when I get home, just trying to gather an understanding.

Thanks.

Yes, you are right, there are no seals inside the differential like a front axle. The inner wheel seal (on the back of the hub) and the seal between the axle shaft flange and the hub keep the oil inside. The gear oil from inside the differential runs down the tubes and oils the wheel bearings. Just take the hub off, pry out the old seal and tap the new one in, easy as that.

Re: Re: School me on D60 FF rear axle

Corrosion on the spindle is a common cause for a leak there. But if you have a new axle, there shouldn't be a problem. If the seal surface on the spindle is pitted, you can get a speedy sleeve.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk