• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

School Me On FJ40s

84Toyota4x4

So, Ive always been a fan of the look and nostalgic sense of these things, and lately Ive been thinking its time for a change of a vehicle. Im not sure which way I will be going since I have 4 cars currently and my girlfriend has 2, so we are still trying to figure out which way we want to shuffle them, but I thought I might get a little more info in case I decide to go with the FJ40.

Some things Im wondering are basically just the typical places for failures or issues to look at (frame cracking, body rot, etc). I also would like to find one with the stock drivetrain for now, so any common mechanical issues with the inline 6, various transmissions, etc. This also includes what options the truck had as far as transmissions (3 or 4 speed auto/manuals, etc), and which one might be more desired because I just dont know. What year did they go from front drum to front discs, and so on. Does anyone make an aftermarket A/C add on unit? EDIT: Google owns me, found AC units galore.

My plans for the truck are just basic "period correct" modifications, just a small lift, 33" - 35" tires, that kind of thing. All while keeping the drive train stock except for reliability or safety upgrades. Just a weekend camping type truck with basic off road ability. Im looking to replace (even trade) my 89 4Runner which currently holds this duty. Ideally Id like a hard top with ambulance doors and rear jump seats (doesn't everyone).

So, maybe that gives you the gist of what I'm hoping to learn and find? Thanks in advance guys!

~T.J.

Last edited:
I loved my 69 FJ but ya $$$ and time is what you will be spending.
Cool rigs, enjoyed mine. Keep your runner.

I have a 1970 It will be my coffin when I die.But I would keep your runner for wheelin, cruisers aren't cheap.I have my mini and just beat the piss outta that.

Last edited:
Too much info to address everything you could possibly want to know.

Start here: http://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-serie...ng-fj-40-fj-40-b-u-y-e-r-s-g-u-i-d-e-f-q.html

Then feel free to ask more specific questions :awesomework:

In general, newer is better. 76+ got disk brakes in front. 74+ got 4-speed tranny. 74.5+ got bigger motor with better oiling and a stronger t-case (with worse gearing). 79+ got stronger knuckles (but 3.70 gears replaced the older 4.10s). 75+ got ambulance doors. (years are close, but maybe not exact)

All of those things are relatively easy to remedy with an older one though.

Body rot is a problem on all of them. Some people claim the sheetmetal changed some time in the early- or mid-70s and the later ones have thinner metal that rusts easier. The sill under the rear doors will be rusty on virtually all of them. Frame rust isn't usually a problem around here, but anything that spent any time on salted roads (midwest, east coast) could. Floorboards rust out, and the 75+ doors seem to have problems too.

You will have a hard time finding one that has a solid frame. The frames always have cancer/rot at the rear spring hanger. Either one or both hangers.

The frame will also be packed full of sand or clay or dirt.

It will have a nasty power steering conversion done by a home builder.

It will have a shitty engine and tranny.

It will have a not so upgrade friendly offset rear end.

The offset shitty rearend goes with the crappy Tcase thats offset too.

It will have a shitty V8 swap that got nasty mounts and a overheating problem if its not the stock 6er.

It will have no power and crappy tranny if it is still the 6er.

It will have 3 layers of old bumper mounts all welded over the top of each other to clean off before even being able to build a new bumper.

It will have rust in the tank or pinholes if its the stock tank.

It will have no gas gauge if it has a fuel cell.

It will have a rusted out windshield frame and cracked glass.

It will have garbage axles that even in their rarest/newest form still suck.

It will have the stock dash molested badly.

It will have a rotten battery mount that about to fall off.

It will have a title that doesnt match the tags, if it even has tags.

It will have 600 holes in the tub from hundreds of different roll bars and ammo cans being mounted over the years.

Any weld not performed by toyota will need cut out and redone.

It will have ghetto spring bolts and bushings and who knows what for shackles.

And will almost positively come with diamond plate covering all the bad I did not mention yet.

But it will most likely have a nice warn upright on it cuz cruiser guys love old warns.

Oh yeah, almost forgot, it will have some kinda ghetto seats too.

But if you are craving a full build with no cruiser left other than tub/frame/tags then by all means start shopping for poop.

They are cool looking, but still made of poop.

Anything else? I gots some more rain left for your parade. :D

Last edited:
Too much info to address everything you could possibly want to know.

Start here: http://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-serie...ng-fj-40-fj-40-b-u-y-e-r-s-g-u-i-d-e-f-q.html

Then feel free to ask more specific questions :awesomework:

In general, newer is better. 76+ got disk brakes in front. 74+ got 4-speed tranny. 74.5+ got bigger motor with better oiling and a stronger t-case (with worse gearing). 79+ got stronger knuckles (but 3.70 gears replaced the older 4.10s). 75+ got ambulance doors. (years are close, but maybe not exact)

All of those things are relatively easy to remedy with an older one though.

Body rot is a problem on all of them. Some people claim the sheetmetal changed some time in the early- or mid-70s and the later ones have thinner metal that rusts easier. The sill under the rear doors will be rusty on virtually all of them. Frame rust isn't usually a problem around here, but anything that spent any time on salted roads (midwest, east coast) could. Floorboards rust out, and the 75+ doors seem to have problems too.

For me all that is worthless information. I never had a desire to learn ANY of the differences.

Even the best of the stock parts still suck and will be replaced with better/modern/reliable/ easy to service parts.

Only a tiquer restoring one for a daily driver would care about that stuff.

The body and frame are the only things to consider from my stance.

Hi All:

Ah Chop Shop, yee of little faith! :redneck: Obviously the time you have spent over at IH8MUD.com has not swayed you to the cult of the 40/45 Series Land Cruiser! :mad: :rolleyes: :haha: It is a disease, I say!! :D :mad:

Ever heard of Don Quixote? This is our personal windmill! :redneck:

Regards,

Alan

You will have a hard time finding one that has a solid frame. The frames always have cancer/rot at the rear spring hanger. Either one or both hangers.

It will have a shitty V8 swap that got nasty mounts and a overheating problem if its not the stock 6er.

It will have 3 layers of old bumper mounts all welded over the top of each other to clean off before even being able to build a new bumper.

It will have 600 holes in the tub from hundreds of different roll bars and ammo cans being mounted over the years.

And will almost positively come with diamond plate covering all the bad I did not mention yet.

But it will most likely have a nice warn upright on it cuz cruiser guys love old warns.

But if you are craving a full build with no cruiser left other than tub/frame/tags then by all means start shopping for poop.

:haha::haha::haha:True, But yet you buy 'em! Why, cuz they are cool! :D
BTW, If the rear offsets are junk to you, I'll take one off your hands! :redneck: This kinda juunk works well for matching the junk offset sami T-case when swapping to Yota axles!:redneck::awesomework::corn:

:haha::haha::haha:True, But yet you buy 'em! Why, cuz they are cool! :D

I have yet to wheel a cruiser or drive one even tho I own 3 of them.

But I have had several minis that work great.

Satisfaction of driving/wheeling something cool is not nearly as rewarding as wheeling something that works well and is reliable and was cheap to build.

I have yet to wheel a cruiser or drive one even tho I own 3 of them.

But I have had several minis that work great.

Satisfaction of driving/wheeling something cool is not nearly as rewarding as wheeling something that works well and is reliable and was cheap to build.

Touche' !!! :redneck::awesomework:

Wow, that bad? Haha. As I said, I was looking for a wheeler, more like a weekend driver/camping truck. Mostly on-road, and just hauling some camping gear in the back, something to tinker with and semi "restore".

Thanks for the info in the thread. I had a feeling later was better. I had found a (nice?) 77 I was looking at, all original, owners manuals, even cans of the factory touch up paint, but its $8500 and in OR.

I think I will just hold out for a while and look into a tow rig instead unless I can find something clean-ish to trade straight across for my Runner. Maybe I will sell my WRX and get a Duramax. Anyone want to rain on that parade too? Haha.

~T.J.

Last edited:

No real rot back there, surprisingly enough.

Check

Hope fullythe conversion I did isn't nasty.

SBC..... shitty as far as I'm concerned. lol

Check

Check

Check on the V8 (sbc) doesn't seem to overheat though.

Nope, got lucky there, just stock trashed bumpers.
I put on the first new layer.

Rear tank is gone, internal tank is cleaned out, good to go. No leaks.

Has one, just doesn't work.

glass is cracked, windshield frame is ok.

Check

Check

Check. But all that is gone now anyway.

Nope, they actually match.

Only 4 extras, untill I got to it.

I think mine are OK.

All new.

surprisingly, no.

Check. Well..... .not a real nice one. And I put it there.

Check

Can't forget the general tub rust. Or the hacked to **** wiring.