• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

School me on truck campers

sledneck

Are pop up truck campers worth it? Let me start by saying I have been thinking of getting 1 for the last couple years but no dealers within 4 hours ever have them in stock or get them in used so I could never actually see one in person to know if we should even consider it. A used 1 finally popped up at a dealer a few hours away so we rolled out to check it out and damn I was kind of disappointed in the lack of space in the sleeping area. Currently I just use a soft topper and we sleep and camp out of that. Looking for something a little more weather proof so if it rains we're are not trying to sleep inside the truck. Also so we can camp later into the fall and winter. From PA so it can start getting cold in October. Everything I see used seems like it priced high as giraffe ***** so I'm considering buying a entry level camper that is brand new. So should I consider a pop up or save a pile of money and just buy a hard truck cap to keep the rain out?

I dont care for pop ups.

I had a pop up pull behind for a while, and I hated having to set it back up when I got home after it got rained on so it could dry out completely.

Skip everything and go directly to a motorhome. You will have one eventually , so save all the money in between. I love mine.

Not looking for a motorhome. Need something I can put in my truck and get down shitty single track and fire roads with. Would also use it when we go on wheeling trips.

I know for a fact if you ride to a rodeo in one that was infested with crabs from a buckle bunny you will get crabs. For the record I do not rodeo I was just along for the ride.

money_pit_yj said:
I know for a fact if you ride to a rodeo in one that was infested with crabs from a buckle bunny you will get crabs. For the record I do not rodeo I was just along for the ride.
[/quote

Wow, that's a lot of crabs :****:]

I had one for a short time. It sucked! Hated it. A bitch to load/unload. Sways like a bitch in the wind. Cramped as hell. Etc. just my experience.

We bought a lance 1131 a few months ago and absolutely love it. Its fawking heavy, but its just the perfect size for my wife and I, and 2 almost grown kids. It sleeps 7. We had a 33ft 5'er before it so I was really worried about it being big enough, but so far its size has been just perfect since we spend the majority of the time outside the camper when camping, but its also big enough its not cramped with 4ppl on the insie

They accomplish the goals:

somewhere to sleep
somewhere to change clothes
conditioned space

anything extra is a bonus:
bathroom, shower kitchen

Re:

I have a Lance 865 (shortbed) truck bed camper and love it. It's sorta tight, but has a residential sized queen, oven, cooktop, shitter, shower, enough storage for my family of 3 and the dog to camp 4 days. Has awesome heat and decent A/C so far, and only weighs in at 2100lb dry. The F250 doesn't even care that it's back there, and light enough to still pull the crawler with easily.

I haven't had it long but a few guys on here gave me some pointers and I added solar power and got a tote'n'store **** tank to double my capacity of black & grey waste. Few other nickles and dime upgrades and it's perfect.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

medium800.jpg

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/listings/forum/27.cfm

RV.net Truck Camper forum, they can answer any question have about truck campers.

We've had ours for 21 years and may be buying a new one later this year.

Re: Re: School me on truck campers

tall boy said:
Lets see some pictures THE GUY.
Tiny and comfy Lance 865, 2100 lbs dry.

6ffe5e4754fb7714a1b1a936ed817b82.jpg

8c6a6c368fe7f2e5787e3a8e5301b81a.jpg
shitter

And took the table out for more changing clothes room
d70d51de6af7220555a0f508e90a03f7.jpg

Went complete LED, got Maxxair vents, solar kit, extra **** tank, and learn to pack with a purpose. They are awesome.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I had a love / hate relationship with mine. I had a Lance 1181 with the full wall slide and every option they offered and it was a heavy bitch. I hauled it with a 2012 F450 and it was scary to drive especially hauling my 22ft trailer. To haul the trailer I had a super hitch with a 48inch extension. The plus side was it was smaller and easier to maneuver around but the bad was it sucked to load in the truck and it hated wind. I think it would have been perfect mounted on a trailer but I didn't want to try that and still hate it. BTW, I added air bags and helper springs to my truck and it still felt like the front tires would come off the ground when I hit a big bump.

I have tried a few setups over the years and like Halcat said I am now in a motorhome.

Setup 1 - 45ft Bloomer Open deck, Probably the best I had I just wanted to haul my jeep and a rzr.
Setup 2 - Lance 1181 in the bed of the truck hauling a 22ft flatbed - Just didn't work like I thought and was scary to haul.
Setup 3 - 50 ft enclosed race trailer with living quarters , This worked perfect as I could haul two rigs and still had a nice rv area but I was not able to use it for regular camping at state parks and such.
Current setup - 43 ft tag axle diesel pusher, So far I am loving it and its very nice to have the old lady make me a sandwich while riding down the interstate.

I have a pop up slide in now. I love the convenience of being able to take off anywhere anytime. It does sway like a beeeeeeeaaaaach. But I hate driving/ pulling with a motor home. I also have a camper shell it's a toss up to with one I like better. If it's me plus one it doesn't matter. But plus 2 or more the I have the slide in. Mine is an ultralight also so that makes a difference. I will how ever have a goose neck with it sitting on the tongue some day. I love mine for running out to the hunting club or something like that.

The pop ups seem like a glorified tent. I couldn't believe how expensive they are. We finally found a 91' Fleetwood Elkhorn after searching for years for $2500. It's a huge step up from a tent as every trip seemed to have storm blow it down on us.

The wife was clumsy and kept falling through the trailer neck, and it was more work than I cared to do by myself to load and unload in a single spot at storage. So I decided to put it on a gooseneck and enjoyed walking out onto the deck, along with the ease of dropping it when needed.

I eventually wanted more room, as it was tight with more than 2 people in it. Make sure to check the tie downs haven't been over tightened as they pull loose, and it's a bit of work to repair them.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

That ain't no big extension. Its just a little baby extension.

THIS IS A BIG EXTENSION!!!! ;D Kinda like the difference between a peter and a ****.

Demo-Tork-Lift-Hitch-Accessories-TLE1560_644.jpg

I made my 24" extension from 2-1/2" 1/4" wall steel tube. SuperHitch makes standard extensions up to 60" for the bigger truck campers with longer overhangs in the rear.

Latest posts